5.1 Player Incompatibility

Posted by audiblefeast 
5.1 Player Incompatibility
May 22, 2012 11:46AM
Sorry if someone has covered this, but I can't find anything, so here's my question.

I'm preparing DVD and Bluray screeners of a 90-minute feature, originating from a 10-bit uncompressed file in FCP. I've made many DVDs and Blurays from this material before, but have never tested the results on a range of commercial players until now. (I've had a lot of problems in the past getting the 5.1 sound to play correctly from FCP/Compressor Blurays and DVDs in professional screening rooms--DTS systems couldn't do it, Dolby systems sometimes could).

So I'm trying to test these things to be sure they screen properly. I made three DVD's, using different transcoding and burning methods, and tested them in multiple models of four brands of Bluray players at Best Buy. I confirmed that the Best Buy test systems were set up correctly. Multiple models of each of Panasonic, LG, and Samsung players all decoded and played the 5.1 correctly. None of the Sony players did. The Sony players played the L and R correctly, did not play the LFE channel, and played the C, LS, and RS out of both the left and the right.

Since all the disks were good with three brands of players and none were good with the Sonys, I'm figuring that I need to chase down something that Sony is or isn't doing.

Does anyone know where to go with this?

The DVD's were made three ways:
(All three pictures made from the same Compressor m2v file)
Never used "share"
FCP 6 track output to Compressor set for Dolby Digital Auto, burned with DVD Studio
FCP 6 track output to Compressor set for Dolby Digital Auto, burned with Encore CS4
6 AIFF files to "Add Surround Sound" in Compressor set for Dolby Digital Auto, burned with Encore CS4

I tested the ac3 files in Slipstream, and they all played correctly. I also decoded the ac3 made from the 6 track FCP to Compressor export, converted it to 6 AIFF files and imported them BACK into FCP. The decoded and converted AIFF files matched the original FCP export, when compared in the timeline.

Thanks!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics