WORKFLOW FOR NTSC & PAL MOV RUSH

Posted by deepchat 
WORKFLOW FOR NTSC & PAL MOV RUSH
June 11, 2012 05:39PM
Hi,

Need your help to get the workflow right.

Some old DV rush, originally shot in PAL but captured in different postprod facilities.

Finally what reached my FCP 7.0 are :

RUSH 1 : .MOV : Frame size 640 x 480 , Vid rate = 29,97fps and compressor : DV/DVCPRO - NTSC. (90% OF THE RUSH)

RUSH 2 : .MOV : Frame size 720 x 576 , Vid rate = 25 fps and compressor : DV - PAL.

RUSH 3 : .MOV : Frame size 640 x 480 , Vid rate = 30 fps and compressor : H.264

The quality of Rush 1 (90% of total rush) is really bad.

What do you suggest should be the sequence settings and the workflow? (by the way, Digital Cinema Preview with the sequence settings of Rush 1).

Thanx a lot.
Re: WORKFLOW FOR NTSC & PAL MOV RUSH
June 11, 2012 05:45PM
Why, oh why did they capture like this?

Redo the captures. All of them are wrong in one way or another. DV NTSC should be 720x480; DV PAL doesn't fit the other two; H.264 isn't an editing codec. If the original tapes were DV PAL, all the captures should have been under setting #2...but then you have to ask yourself, is it your intention to finish in PAL?

www.derekmok.com
June 11, 2012 06:05PM
Hi Derek,

Thanx for your reply. I know it is all wrong. The material was originally shot in Mozambique, transfer was done in NYC and it came to me in Portugal for edit. I don't even know whether the tapes are in condition for a fresh transfer.

My intention is to get a workflow based upon existing rush so that the quality does not suffer further and the immense time that I am spending for rendering gets minimized.

Any suggestion/advice will make me immensely grateful to you.

Regards
June 11, 2012 06:49PM
Quality will already suffer, because you'll either have to conform a large amount of footage to PAL (the DV NTSC and H.264 material) or conform the PAL footage to NTSC. Either way, it's a generation loss. Quite frankly, if you had paid for a capture from DV tape, you should ask the facility to redo it for free. H.264 is just wrong, and so is the DV NTSC if your source tapes were PAL.

www.derekmok.com
June 11, 2012 07:07PM
I agree. Try every method you can think of to get this recaptured, instead of wasting your time fighting it for what will be very mediocre results. If that's absolutely impossible, you need to decide, like Derek says, what you need to output. Are you in a PAL country? What is your destination? Broadcast? Film festival? Web?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics