hold option to duplicate

Posted by stefangs 
hold option to duplicate
June 11, 2012 02:22AM
i find holding down the option key the most straight forward way to quickly duplicate a clip. the only thing that gets me is that it always shifts everything on the timeline to the right, even if i drag to a different track that's empty. there must be a key combination that defeats this behaviour! anyone know how?

thanks,
stefan

--
macpro 2x3 ghz dual core intel, 10.6.8, FCS 2
Re: hold option to duplicate
June 11, 2012 03:34AM
What I do is release the Option key before releasing the mouse drag. That should overwrite the clip into the timeline which won't shift timing.

- Loren

Today's FCP 7 keytip:
Advance to next/previous keyframes in a clip with Shift/Option-K !

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide? Power Pack
with FCP7 KeyGuide --
now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
June 11, 2012 05:08AM
yeah, that's correct.

holding option as you release a clip will perform an "insert" placement.
keep your eye on your cursor, it will show you what is about to happen. forward pointing arrow indicates "insert".
downward is "overwrite" (or "plonking it down" if you want to get technical)

in the right circumstances, however, holding option as you place the clip will actually perform a "swap" edit (indicated by a hooked arrow)

nick
June 11, 2012 06:48AM
yes, i realize that. but you can't plonk down a clip while holding option. so my highly intuitive workaround is to shift-opt-z to zoom out, then option-drag the clip past the end of the sequence where it can't mess anything up, THEN plonk it down where i want it.

funny that there seems to be little enough interest to add a modifier key solution for a simple 'dupe-plonk here'. at least i get to practice my zoom shortcuts...

stefan

--
June 11, 2012 06:56AM
I find it a lot faster and less hassle to just Copy-Paste or Copy-Paste Insert. You can get around the issue of Auto-Select buttons by copying the original, OPTION-Up to move it away, then pasting the copy in the original's place.

www.derekmok.com
June 11, 2012 07:37AM
Stephan
funny that there seems to be little enough interest to add a modifier key solution for a simple 'dupe-plonk here'. at least i get to practice my zoom shortcuts...

to be clear, as Lorren mentioned, simply let go of Option after you've dragged a copy, and before you plonk it down.

so: Hold Option, drag the clip. Let go of Option, let go of the clip.

Derek
You can get around the issue of Auto-Select buttons by copying the original, OPTION-Up to move it away, then pasting the copy in the original's place.

ha!, yes, i sometimes do a similar thing when copying from a "source" sequence into an edit sequence.
let's say it's a sequence of sound effects on A1&2, and i know i've got dial on those tracks in my edit sequence,
i bump the sfx down to A3&4 or whatever before copying.
seems so primitive, but can be quicker and less worrisome than autoselect

nick
June 11, 2012 08:02AM
This is one feature that would probably never be implemented again, yet I like it- the ability to do a bunch of things just by holding option while dragging the clip. With this you can do swap edits, duplicate a clip or transition and insert or overwrite paste and if you hold shift, duplicate a clip on the next track.

www.strypesinpost.com
June 11, 2012 08:48AM
Yeah, it's hard to teach, but very useful once you know it. Select the clip. Hold Option. Drag the clip. Do not let go yet. Stop holding option. Drop the clip in place.

June 13, 2012 02:46PM
Love this feature, other NLEs need to adopt it.
June 13, 2012 11:30PM
You just have to learn to let go....

- Loren

Today's FCP 7 keytip:
Advance to next/previous keyframes in a clip with Shift/Option-K !

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide? Power Pack
with FCP7 KeyGuide --
now available at the LAFCPUG Store!
June 14, 2012 12:46AM
Premiere Pro CS6 does the same thing now, but you don't let go of option before you drop.

June 14, 2012 02:42AM
ah, yes. i now tried this rather un-macish behaviour and got it to work. very tricky. first i didn't understand why i can't shuffle now. but it depends whether you hold option *before* you select the clip or not. it's a world of option(s) out there!

thanks,
stefan

--
June 14, 2012 05:30AM
It's very Mac like. It's one way to duplicate a file at the Finder level.

All the best,

Tom
June 14, 2012 06:33AM
Tom Wolsky Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's very Mac like. It's one way to duplicate a
> file at the Finder level.

nope... if you let go of option before letting go of the file, you move the file. it's just like never touching option at all.

stefan

--
June 14, 2012 06:44AM
The release is only for overwrite. If you want to insert you don't release. If you want to shuffle you option after you drag.

All the best,

Tom
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics