Cutting up a long Quicktime

Posted by Carol Martin 
Cutting up a long Quicktime
June 20, 2012 04:55PM
We're cutting up the Quicktime of a feature film into stock footage clips by setting an in and out and then exporting each clip individually. However, somehow all of the clips came out as reference files, not real QTs, dependent on the original movie. I've since trashed my prefs and FCP is now behaving but how can I use the ins and outs of the reference files, which FCP is recognizing, to re-export each clip from the original movie without going through the whole setting ins/outs again? Does this make any sense? If I had a tape master I would batch capture, end of story. But I don't, I only have the film as a Quicktime. Can anyone please help? smiling smiley
Re: Cutting up a long Quicktime
June 20, 2012 05:04PM
If you're exporting from FCP, do Export - QuickTime Movie and check the "Make Movie Self-Contained" box.

For the reference movie files, theoretically it should be possible for you to drag those into a timeline and export again. But make sure all settings match between the Sequence and the clip.

www.derekmok.com
June 20, 2012 05:29PM
Thank you! One of our brilliant editors also just discovered that Compressor recognizes the reference files so we can batch create them again there. Whew!
June 21, 2012 05:49AM
going though compressor wil re-compress the clips.
maybe that's not an issue, but why bother??
(i've also had compressor crash if i throw too many clips at it)

you can very simply bring them into FCP as a a folder,
then Batch Export.
export as QuickTime move, Same settings, Self Contained.

cheers,
nick
June 21, 2012 06:04AM
...you could have used Jon's Pro Media Tools - Edit Detector to automatically cut up the Quicktime - created reference clips or self-contained Quicktimes or exported markers to help a manual cut.

Saves (in Mike's words) a Bazillion hours of work!

One for future reference me thinks?

[www.digitalrebellion.com]

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
June 21, 2012 06:28AM
I would use Nick's method. It's the easiest one.

If have another one to be done, just make a cut thru at the needed times and drag your selection to a "my selects" bin in the browser (if there are multiple unlinked AV tracks make a nested sequence).
When you're done use the "Batch Export" for this folder.

-Andreas

Some workflow tools for FCP [www.spherico.com]
TitleExchange -- juggle titles within FCS, FCPX and many other apps.
[www.spherico.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics