Convert to widescreen problem.

Posted by PG 
PG
Convert to widescreen problem.
July 23, 2012 01:02PM
About 10 years ago (as I was learning FCP) I edited a program that was shot in HDV. When digitizing the videotape footage from the Sony HDV deck to SD I failed to use the 'squeeze' function on the deck. Therefore, I had somewhat of a widescreen program but it was not 1440x1080. Is it possible (I have not been able to find a method) to take the QT master and somehow re-render in the 1440x1080 format?

Otherwise I will have to re-editd the entire 45 minute program. Not a lot of fun.

Thanks for your guidance in advance.
Re: Convert to widescreen problem.
July 24, 2012 01:00AM
so what DO you have?
from memory, there are 3 options when capturing HDV to DV:

Squeeze,
Letter Box,
and CentreCut

or do you simply have a 4/3 frame with a squished image?
that's easy to fix,
and if all you are doing is making a DVD, then there's no rendering at all, just tell DVDStudio Pro that you want the DVD to be 16/9

in this day and age, SD is really very old.
it may well pay to recapture as HDV and re-master.
(not re-edit, just re-master in 1440x1080)

nick
PG
July 24, 2012 11:45AM
Nick,

Thanks for your response.

I mistakenly captured all footage using the 'letterbox' and not the 'squeeze.' Big mistake!

I authored the DVD menu in anamorphic format. When played back the menu is anamorphic, however, the balance of the program jumps to a 4:3 format with black bars at top and bottom. The actual image is not squished.

I have attempted to recapture the QT master using the 'squeeze' method but this does not render a 1440:1080 image.

Re-editing the entire 40 minute plus program would not be good but I may have to do it unless you can direct me to a solution.

Thanks very much for your assistance.

PG
July 24, 2012 11:53AM
Then why are you trying to make an anamorphic DVD? Your footage isn't anamorphic. Just make a regular 4:3, 720x480 DVD with letterbox built into the image.

Trying to make the image 16:9 at this stage is just an unnecessary blowup. And you're going to DVD at the last stage anyway, which means you're blowing the image up and then shrinking it back down. That doesn't make sense to me.

Phil, seriously, you need an editing teacher. Get somebody with technical knowledge to sit with you at your system and teach you how to use it. From your past posts, I remember your workflows as being all over the place, and it still looks really random right now. From what I've seen, I don't think you actually know how to capture with the equipment you have, or to set up your projects and timelines properly to fit the final result you're looking for.

www.derekmok.com
PG
July 24, 2012 12:04PM
Your point is well taken, however, I produced this particular video about 10 or 11 years ago when I was first learning FCP. Since that time I have have produced and authored numerous DVDs/videos that are presently in distribution as well as on sale at Amazon.

My problem dates back to the learning stages and I am attempting to correct the mistake of not capturing using the 'squeeze' method.

I must assume that there is no solution to my original mistake and that it will need re-editing in order for it to play in the 1440:1080 format.

Your guidance as well as Nicks is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.
July 24, 2012 12:16PM
Theoretically speaking, you should simply be able to use Media Manager to create an HD version of the timeline, and then recapture the media. No re-edit, just an online. Is there timecode? Was the media logged and batch-captured properly in the beginning?

And while we're at it, is an anamorphic DVD a required deliverable in the first place?

www.derekmok.com
PG
July 24, 2012 01:30PM
This sounds like the method for solving my problem. I will get on it this afternoon. Thanks.

("And while we're at it, is an anamorphic DVD a required deliverable in the first place?"winking smiley

Yes, the client now wants to upgrade the video.

In any event I am going to follow your directions.

Thanks again Derek.
July 24, 2012 09:18PM
MEDIA MANAGER SETTINGS:

Media: Create Offline
set sequences to: HDV (whatever flavour the media is)
delete unused: YES
add handles: advisable

you'll get an sequence w all media offline, ready for batch capturing.
sit back w a pot of tea and a magazine or two as you load tape after tape... can be quite relaxing, really smiling smiley

there will be gotchas and unexpected hiccups, especial with graphics, or vfx that may have been generated outside of FCP,
also re-sizes (they should work and look after them sleeves, but check them)
and speed ramps.
so allow time to check the show and fix problems

research the cafe on getting the best DVD from HVD.
now that you will have a nice HD program, could worth talking to your client about Blu-Ray

to avoid all this you COULD just do a blow-up / conversion of your master,
(can be done in FCP or compressor)
but pic quality will suffer.

all the best,
nick
PG
July 24, 2012 10:33PM
Thanks Nick as always.

I shall follow your directions and conclude with as pot of tea. Sure beats re-editing the entire 40 minutes plus. The graphics will need updating anyway so if they are lost so be it.

All the best to you as well.

PG
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics