Aspect conversion in QT7

Posted by Jude Cotter 
Aspect conversion in QT7
August 08, 2012 09:23PM
We have an increasing number of clips coming in to one of my workplaces that are 1280 x 544. We need them to be 1280 x 720 with black bars to be able to run on a dedicated screen in the right aspect ratio.

Has anyone got a method for doing this without having to go through FCP? It's an intern job, and since the clips are usually MP4s we don't want to have to convert them, import to FCP, export, then convert again for the screen. I had a look at masks in QT7 but can only find ways to remove letterboxing and pillarboxing, not add.

Re: Aspect conversion in QT7
August 08, 2012 11:40PM
I figured it out - using mpeg streamclip you can just change the x/y to 1.333 and it pads for you on export.

August 09, 2012 05:16AM
you can do this in compressor, too,
maybe not so simply.

set the geometry to 1280 x 720
then do a custom pad to your size.

it's all in the geometry pane of the inspector.

nick
August 09, 2012 06:07AM
Ta Nick. I never really liked the Compressor interface, so I rarely think of it. Should have done, but luckily MPEG streamlcip has a setting all ready to go for this job, so it's simple for the interns.

August 09, 2012 06:58AM
gotta love Mpeg Streamclip smiling smiley

n
August 09, 2012 03:28PM
I've used QuickTime Player Pro, which has a simple aspect ratio setting for H X W and a checkbox as to whether you want them locked together, under Movie Properties>Video Track. Use it all the time.

- Loren

Today's FCP 7 keytip:
Advance to next/previous keyframes in a clip with Shift/Option-K !

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide™ Power Pack
with FCP7 KeyGuide --
now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
August 09, 2012 06:48PM
Yeah I tried that Loren, but it doesn't add bars, it only crops the shape. So it makes the picture the right dimensions in the wrong aspect ration.

August 10, 2012 12:07AM
Oh, right, you needed pad. Streamclip it is, I guess. I'd use Episode for that, it's got the full range of choices: Cut, Letterbox or None. Just reflects my bias toward fully supported commercial software.

Best, as always,
Loren S. Miller
www.neotrondesign.com
Home of KeyGuide Central
August 10, 2012 10:12PM
FWIW, Compressor has both Crop and Pad settings.

nick
August 12, 2012 08:09PM
You can create a droplet in Compressor to do just that, and your intern will have the easiest job in the world. I think AME does it too, and you can probably set up a watch folder. AME doesn't seem to do padding or cropping. Not as a preset.

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics