Capture data error from source tape

Posted by pianobum 
Capture data error from source tape
September 02, 2012 12:48PM
Hi Everyone,

I recorded some video on mini dv, and I believe the main culprit is a bad camera. The image
has drop outs every 3 seconds. Doesn't look terrible on the camera itself, just a hint of glitch. Audio dips down for a beat, and video stutters slightly but not too noticeable. I could cut around it. However, FCP won't read more than 3 seconds at a time. If I try to string those 3 seconds at a time together, it gives me skipped frames.

I've tried several other ways.
1- unchecking the abort when code is broken
2-redubbing to another dv player (the new video still would be aborted by FCP, which seems odd, if it's generating new code?)
3-dubbing to IMovie,(which at least didn't abort the transfer, but still skips frames and then speeds up the video the next second after that)

I hear that there are dv players that will push it's way through the bad code. If so, what could I get? Any other suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks
Rob
Re: Capture data error from source tape
September 02, 2012 12:56PM
> (the new video still would be aborted by FCP, which seems odd, if it's generating new code?)

Your camera may have had a dirty head, or something else, like a tape that was damaged before it was inserted into the camera, or tape that was left in the sun. Not only is your timecode discontinuous, but it's probably also written corrupted data onto the tape.

If even a DV-to-DV dub won't fix it, you may even have to redub the footage to tape using analog means just to override the digital glitches.

You did check that you didn't record in LP mode, right? Also, when you did the DV-to-DV dub, did you use the original camera? Some messed-up footage won't play unless it's on the camera that shot it.

www.derekmok.com
September 02, 2012 02:23PM
Hi Derek,

It wasn't shot in LP. And I did try to use the original camera, both as playback and then as the recording device.

I think it's the camera. Prob dirty heads. The first 10 minutes of the dv are fine then the dropouts start and never end.

I also tried using Toast to print straight to DVD and then I'd convert the TS files, but Toast wouldnt record it. It would get to the completion % bar screen and kick it out again. Maybe I'm just doing something wrong.

I guess I'm going to have to try to go to VHS first. It's just a promo reel so Im not too concerned about broadcast quality, I would just like more than 3 seconds.

Thanks

Rob
September 02, 2012 08:41PM
> I also tried using Toast to print straight to DVD and then I'd convert the TS files

Very unlikely that going to DVD will make a difference, if you already have captured clips that are screwed up.

> I guess I'm going to have to try to go to VHS first.

Yipes, no. Your first stop should be to use an analog A/V cable to the analog inputs of another DV or DigiBeta deck. VHS will massacre your footage.

www.derekmok.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics