Feature Film Sync

Posted by mpaulucci 
Feature Film Sync
September 04, 2012 11:33PM
Hey everyone,

I am currently editing my first feature film on FCP 7, because it's what I am most familiar with and I don't wanna take a jump on a project this big. Until now, I've edited small projects so this hasn't been too big of a deal, but I want to just make sure I get this right as it's going to be passing through multiple hands all the way up until completion.

I am syncing up my clips using the "Merge Clips" function, however I am running into an annoying problem that I am sure can be solved pretty easily, I just don't know how. When I merge the clips, the camera audio from the 5D still stays intact in the merged clip. It's really frustrating when I try to edit, and I simply don't want it there. What I have been doing is merging the clips, then dragging the merged clip into the timeline, deleting the 5D audio, then dragging the clip back into the browser, deleting the old merged clip with the 5D audio, and using this new one I dragged into the browser. This can't be the right way to do this, or the most effective, so I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions. I just need to merge clips without the camera audio. Any thoughts on workflow?

Thanks!

-Mike
Re: Feature Film Sync
September 04, 2012 11:48PM
Sync in a timeline first, link the video clip with the good audio, and then drag back into a bin for editing. You can skip the 5D audio by leaving the Source/Destination button for audio unhooked when you put the video clip into the sync timeline.

www.derekmok.com
September 05, 2012 03:06AM
just like Derek, i like to sync & prep my rushes in a timeline.

if you work there, you can simp[ly DELETE the original audio tracks.
sync your new audio, link.
copy & paste to a new bin, and these new clips will only have the audio you need.

this has worked for me.

nick
September 18, 2012 01:25AM
I really prefer this method too, it probably has something to do with coming from a film background. But every time I do it I get clips that when I drag them into the timeline they are out of sync, and I mean way out of sync. And sometimes they will corrupt the timeline. So the merge clips works much better for me.

Plural-eyes will replace the audio, and does a pretty bang up job of it, and they have a 30 day demo. Which is enough to get a film synced. So if you can use that demo, save yourself some sweat.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics