multitrack WAV to AIFF

Posted by Andrew Kines 
multitrack WAV to AIFF
October 23, 2012 05:44PM
What are people using to convert polyphonic WAVs to polyphonic AIFFs?

Andreas' BWF2XML used to be the thing in the BWF era. I couldn't get it to work on these DEVA files I have sitting in front of me.

Anything else out there that recognizes multitrack files and maintains the tracks and freq/bit depth?

thanks

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
Re: multitrack WAV to AIFF
October 23, 2012 06:41PM
You can output up to 24 split tracks in FCP, oh, not sure if it's just an AIFF, but maybe Compressor can handle this?

October 23, 2012 07:00PM
I have 4 days of a low budget shoot. I could do it in FCP I guess. I'd have to see info could batch it.
I'm surprised with all the machines out there that none of the manufacturers make a converter. I couldn't even find a paid app.

Compressor doesn't have more than mono or stereo options on output of an AIFF.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
October 23, 2012 07:08PM
"I'd have to see if I could batch it"

each sound file would need it's own sequence.
so make one sequence, set it's audio outputs how you need them,
then duplicate that x number of times,

but what about TC?

can i ask why you need AIFFs?
FCP is happy with wav

if you import into a ProTools session that is set up for AIFF, it will convert the files.
not sure if that will keep original file names, and polyphonic properties, though.

nick
October 23, 2012 07:17PM
>can i ask why you need AIFFs?
>FCP is happy with wav

Next to that, wav files are able to store timecode information. Aiffs don't.

www.strypesinpost.com
October 23, 2012 07:18PM

can i ask why you need AIFFs?
FCP is happy with wav

The other days are all AIFF and there's more AIFFs than WAV. Was hoping to avoid having mixed formats in the timeline.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
October 23, 2012 07:43PM
Interestingly, you can export audio files, NOT sequences, using Batch Export.
Doesn't help me though as the limitations of the QT settings pop up again. Even using "Quadrophonic" as the track setting, it errored out any 4 track files and turned the 2 and 3 track files into stereo files. This is why they deprecated FCP on the Old QT base. It was too limited for modern file types.

Good to know you can export just files through Batch Import. Not sure of a use but there it is.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
October 23, 2012 08:39PM
"Was hoping to avoid having mixed formats in the timeline."

while i haven't had mixed formats on my rushes audio, i generally do have mixed AIFF / WAV audio in my timelines

Rushes = WAV
Everything else (Music & SFX) = AIFF

this hasn't been a problem.

for a small job, i'd say make a leap with both formats and see how you go.

"Interestingly, you can export audio files, NOT sequences, using Batch Export."

do you mean NOT JUST sequences?
I Batch Export sequences regularly.

nick
October 23, 2012 08:51PM
Yeah I Batch Export seqs all the time, never bothered on plain clips.

I am going to give it a go and mix WAV and AIFF for this project.

hooray?

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
October 23, 2012 08:58PM
bleeding edge!

nick
October 23, 2012 09:20PM
Believe me, there is NOTHING about this project that is bleeding edge.

RED one, with no camera audio or sync TC/smartslate so everything synced by clapper. Amateur script super with a doctor's handwriting.

I don't think the audio op knew how to use the Zaxcom Nomad because the track assignments from the machine report are all wrong. All the Lav tracks seem absent or empty.

Syncing rushes and Day one already sounds testy and screamy on set.

Oh Nick, did you mean "bleeding edge", as in the item I will be holding when I get through with the on set crew? Then yes, that.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
October 24, 2012 01:54AM
I think your fine mixing the wavs and AIFFs, as long as the sample rate is the same. Mixing sample rates is the dangerous thing. They're both PCM audio, in different wrappers, right?

But there is this utility called wav agent, it might be helpful. You can google it. It might require two passes, but I'm kinda sure it can be batched.
October 24, 2012 03:19AM
I don't think you can export multitracked audio files from FCP. QTs yes, not aiff or wav. Not much issues with mixing wav and aiff files here either. Wave Agent may be an option, but that doesn't do batch operations.

www.strypesinpost.com
October 24, 2012 05:20AM
As far as I can see Wave Agent doesn't convert to anything. It will rename based on Metadata but that's it. I would like to be proven wrong on this because for other tasks (Organization, Sample Rate adjustments) Wave Agent is great.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics