setting up fcp7 project from external drive with red footage already in the drive

Posted by ksanea 
setting up fcp7 project from external drive with red footage already in the drive
November 01, 2012 12:57PM
Need some help with setting up project from external lacie drive with red footage
Thanks,
Nancy
Re: setting up fcp7 project from external drive with red footage already in the drive
November 01, 2012 01:01PM
This is nowhere near enough information to go on.

What other storage do you have?
Is the RED footage the whole project or just some additional footage?
Is there audio on the RED files or in separate files?

What kind of project is it? A short, a feature, a doc, a commercial?

What system do you have? Mac version, OS version?

Have you read the RED white paper on RED workflow? Did you download the FCP7 RED package?

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
Re: setting up fcp7 project from external drive with red footage already in the drive
November 01, 2012 01:53PM
Sounds like you need an assistant editor.

I've done my share of RED editing, but I also had help from a DIT/DMT. It's best if you get somebody experienced to help answer questions, prep/backup the footage if necessary. Not something you learn in a day. You also need to know where the project is going, what you're mastering to at the final stage. It will dictate your choices at this stage.

www.derekmok.com
November 01, 2012 04:25PM
Yep. All good questions. It's a doc. I am on Macbook Pro and the Red footage has already been put on an external drive. I am thinking I need an experienced assist editor to help me set this up so I can start working.
Thanks for answering me. Really appreciate it!
Nancy
November 01, 2012 04:28PM
You are so right. I need as assistant, for sure. Thanks for your suggestion!
Nancy
November 01, 2012 04:39PM
If it's tons of footage and you are on anything other than the latest MacBookPro (i.e. one with a Thunderbolt port along with a Thunderbolt drive), you'll probably want to do an lowres/conform workflow. You CAN do this with RedCineX (free from RED) and just make ProResLT or similar rushes of all your footage. Put them on another drive and move the RED originals somewhere safe. It's probably best to get an experienced assistant to do the stuff you're unfamiliar with though.

You'll also need to know how the film is going to be finished and on what kind of CC/Mastering system it will be done.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
November 01, 2012 05:01PM
I am on the latest macbook pro but haven't worked with red before and definitely feel like I need some experienced help. Looking for someone now.
Thanks Andrew.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics