DSLR & H.264

Posted by preditor 
DSLR & H.264
December 11, 2012 01:06AM
What is the deal with editing the native H.264 from a Canon D5? Thought I would try to stay in the native H.264 format, since the project was for the web. Many rendering problems, video going out of sync upon Exporting the full res file...trouble in uploading.

I guess I should have stayed with my first instinct...convert all to Pro-Res first. I think I'll stick with good old-fashioned broadcast video from an EX...I find DSLRs highly overrated, for the professional world.

Did I miss something? Should I just conform all to Pro-Res?

Thanks!
Re: DSLR & H.264
December 11, 2012 01:15AM
Yes, convert all to ProRes. H.264 is very unpredictable in FCP7.

www.strypesinpost.com
December 11, 2012 06:51AM
> Thought I would try to stay in the native H.264 format, since the project was for the web.

Don't do it. Period. H.264 is actually pretty predictable in FCP7...predictably awful. Sooner or later, your edits will slip because there is no timecode, and I'm not talking about five-frame shifts -- I'm talking about your edits shifting two minutes within the clip and even a media reconnect can't restore your original editing decision.

> I find DSLRs highly overrated, for the professional world.

The professional world uses DSLRs all the time for video. You just have to learn to use the correct workflow.

www.derekmok.com
December 11, 2012 06:59PM
>Sooner or later, your edits will slip because there is no timecode

That's not due to a lack of timecode. We use timecode-less renders from After Effects all the time. That's due to H.264 and FCP7.

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics