Small files for transcriber

Posted by Lisha 
Small files for transcriber
August 19, 2012 06:20PM
Hello to all,

The footage is:
About 1.5 hours in total, MPEG HD, 35Mbps, frame rate 59.94i, 16x9, 19x20, Codec: Apple XDCAM EX 1080i60 (35 Mb/s VBR), Audio Format AES-3, 48kHz, 2 channels

I imported into FCP7 Using Sony's XDCAM transfer software, assembled the clips, added a timecode reader filter so there's visual timecode based on the individual clips and now I need to create Quicktime files that are 200 mgs or less in length for the transcriber. Sending multiple files is okay.

How do I create Quicktime files 200 mgs or less? My attempts have not been successful thus far.

As always, thanks so much!

Lisha

FCP 7.0.3
Compressor 3.5.3
Quicktime 7.7
Re: Small files for transcriber
August 19, 2012 06:24PM
Whew! I just created a file that is under 200 mgs, but still curious to see how some of you would do it. :-)
August 19, 2012 06:37PM
1.5 hours? Not easy.

For one thing, I'd reduce the frame size, probably to 640x360 or even lower. For timecode-reading purposes, sharpness is more important than size. The audio bit rate would have to remain somewhat decent. I'd start with H.264, 500-800kbps for image, 64kbps 44.1kHz Mono for audio.

Since transcriptions don't have to be frame-accurate, I might also consider testing a drop in the frame rate. Theoretically speaking the burn-ins will still reflect the correct time references.

Trying to fit all 90 minutes into 200MB is a bit ambitious. I'd break it up into three or four parts.

Make sure you export a full-quality movie file of the thing first. Doesn't have to be self-contained. That will save you time for the encoding step, which could take some trial and error. MPEG Streamclip would be much faster than FCP or Compressor for a delivery job like this.

www.derekmok.com
August 19, 2012 06:40PM
For transcribers we drop the video image all the way down to 180x160 or something like that with a TC reader that fills the screen.

We also drop the audio quality down to 22khz.

Then of course you make extremely highly compressed files by dropping the compression way way down.

We can usually make a 1 hour file around 55 mb or smaller.

Transcribers really just need the audio since QT player 7 can display the TC natively.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
biscardicreative.com
August 21, 2012 01:15AM
Yeah, but keep in mind they want high quality qudio or they charge more for rewind/audit time!

- Loren

Today's FCP 7 keytip:
Advance to next/previous keyframes in a clip with Shift/Option-K !

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide™ Power Pack
with FCP7 KeyGuide --
now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
December 13, 2012 12:25PM
OMG! I just noticed your responses! Pathetic I know. Thanks so much guys! It's reassuring to know I'm doing it the right way. smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics