Import avchd without transcoding

Posted by ankawa 
Import avchd without transcoding
January 15, 2013 11:47PM
I own a panasonic HMC 80 and just found out that there is a plug-in for quicktime and final cut where we can import .mts files directly into the timeline and playback in QT.

I dont have footage to edit at this time, anyone has tried it?
Re: Import avchd without transcoding
January 16, 2013 12:01AM
I won't trust AvcHD to playback smoothly in FCP7 even with a QT wrapper. FCP X does that, and is better equipped to work with processor intensive H.264 based formats. PPro works fine with Avchd without even needing a QT re-wrap as long as your machine is powerful enough for it.

www.strypesinpost.com
January 16, 2013 07:31PM
It won't play back smoothly...I've tried it. It barely plays back smoothly in Quicktime. And this is with a 2012 MacBook Pro. Dunno why Panasonic even made this. It's useless.

Even re-wrapping the AVCHD into a QT wrapper and going native...FCP dislikes that. Gotta transcode. Even FCX requests "hey, you want to optimize your media?" Meaning...make it easier to edit. The bonus with that is that it'll do it while you work, or when you sleep...automatically.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
January 16, 2013 08:28PM
FCX is able to work off Avchd in Apple's version of native, which means Avchd re-wrapped in QT. In Premiere Pro, playback of Avchd is fine. Double speed playback works fine too. I think the performance limit on my 2011 MBP is at 3 or 4x realtime.

But that said, transcoding out of a processor intensive format will make the overall editing experience smoother especially if you have a lot of footage.

www.strypesinpost.com
January 27, 2013 05:40PM
My computer handles pp cs5 well, i've been using it for a few months, but i dont really like it. 30GB of avchd becomes 90gb of transcoded footage fcp ready.
If this panasonic plug-in doesnt cut it, i will use pp cs5.

strypes Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I won't trust AvcHD to playback smoothly in FCP7
> even with a QT wrapper. FCP X does that, and is
> better equipped to work with processor intensive
> H.264 based formats. PPro works fine with Avchd
> without even needing a QT re-wrap as long as your
> machine is powerful enough for it.
January 27, 2013 06:51PM
PP CS6 is the one to use. It's very much like FCP, and you can change all the keys to the FCP set, so you barely notice thge change excpet for the interface and the fact that you don't have to transcode or render everything.

There's a free 30 day trial on the Adobe site.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics