Mixed format timeline

Posted by stefangs 
Mixed format timeline
February 18, 2013 02:58PM
Hi all,

I'm sure this question has been answered before, but searching for 'mixed format timeline' didn't turn up anything, so...

I'd like to edit some stuff that was recorded on several occasions with two different cams, one recording at 1080i and one at 720p. All clips were transcoded to ProRes, but of course, the timeline's format was changed when the first clip was added.

Editing this mess works quite well, but what should I do when exporting? I suppose I could duplicate the sequence, adapt the settings from 720p to 1080i or vice versa just to see what ends up being better.

The output should be 720p, but when I use compressor to interlace the sequence to deal with the 1080i clips, will it mess up the clips that are already 720p?

What's a good compromise in this scenario?

Thanks,
Stefan

--
macpro 2x3 ghz dual core intel, 10.6.8, FCS 2
Re: Mixed format timeline
February 18, 2013 03:11PM
> but of course, the timeline's format was changed when the first clip was added.

Why would it be? Unless you asked/allowed FCP to change the format. Did you not make a conscious decision on codec, frame rate, frame size etc. before you started editing?

Choosing your editing (and therefore mastering) format is your job, not the software's.

> Editing this mess works quite well, but what should I do when exporting?

Your mastering format depends on the needs of your production -- your client, your broadcast entity, your producer, etc. -- not on the format of the clips coming in. You haven't told us what deliverables you are required to deliver.

Are you going to web? DVD? Theatrical distribution? Why weren't these questions clarified before editing began, as they should have been? You and your producers should have decided the entire pipeline before a single clip was put into a timeline.

www.derekmok.com
February 18, 2013 05:10PM
Well the output should be 720p. And yes, I asked fcp to change the format (to 720p based on a clip with the format). It just so happens that some clips were shot at 1080i.

Stefan

--
February 18, 2013 05:13PM
so you need to convert an edited 1080i timeline, containing 2 formats, into a 720p timeline?

two options:

1. dupe the timeline in the browser, open it's settings, and load a new preset.
the scaling of the clips will probably go hay-wire, so you'll need to select all, and use the "Scale to Sequence" command.
i can't remember where that is, first bet would be the Modify Menu,
but i use a button for it on my timeline.

2. create a new sequence set to your desired format.
copy / paste the 1080i sequence contents into the new one.
good thing about this is you can edit one of your 720p clips into it first, and if necessary set the sequence to that clip.

same thing goes with scaling as before.

in both instances you'll probably have to re-build or re-tweak amy motion effects.

DE-INTRERLACING
i dont know what the 1080i footage will look like in a 720p timeline.
you might get the best results by making it a 720i timeline (if such a thing is possible)
and adding a good quality de-interlace to the 1080i clips.
Nattress smart de-interlace is highly recommended.

i'm guessing about this as i haven't dealt with these issues before.
February 18, 2013 05:15PM
ok, wish you had been more clear up front.

so you have a 720p sequence with some 1080i clips in it
what do you want to achieve?

nick
February 18, 2013 05:51PM
stefangs: I think what you call '1080i' is 50i and what you call '720p' is 50p. Standard deinterlacing is a poor way to make your 1080/50i into 720/50p. Double deinterlacing is needed for best results. This will convert the 1080/50i to 1080/50p. Then a downscaling converts it to 720/50p. This way you lose none of the temporal information in the 1080/50i, and the final image quality should be comparable to original 720/50p.

If Nattress tools can do the double deinterlacing for you, great. Other tools might be available. Or there is the DIY method I posted last year.

Dennis Couzin
Berlin, Germany
February 19, 2013 05:01PM
Thank you all for the infos!

My plan was to edit as is and throw the output at compressor, but I wasn't sure which of the two formats would be better for the timeline. I have now used Compressor to make all clips the same format which should work perfectly acceptable.

@Dennis - yes, 1080i is 50i, but my 720p is actually 25p. I guess that classifies as the same frame rate, although your terminology of 'moments in time' make sense. That link to your DIY method is very interesting stuff, if somewhat over my head!

Stefan

--
February 20, 2013 10:33PM
@Stefan - I didn't know anyone shot 720/25p in Europe.
Simple deinterlacing of the 1080/50i makes it 25p and you won't have double deinterlacing fun this time.

Dennis Couzin
Berlin, Germany
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics