trouble rendering

Posted by tgeagan 
trouble rendering
March 18, 2013 09:24AM
I am having trouble rendering out my project. I have dumped all the unnecessary render files in render manager and rendering the project. I keep getting a message that says out of memory. My scratch drive has plenty of space on it so I don't understand the message. I even copied the project onto a new drive and having the same problem. It seems to help if I reboot to be able to open up FCP and start rendering again but then I will get the message again after several minutes of rendering. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I am on a deadline and need to deliver this project. Thank you!

Tom
Re: trouble rendering
March 18, 2013 08:50PM
Are there any large stills in the project? Or any that may be CMYK? This can often cause problems. If not, try going to sequence > Settings > Video Processing tab > and checking 'render in 8 bit'.

March 19, 2013 04:36AM
out of memory error is about RAM, not hard drive space.

you can get it on large, complex timelines
and it can be exacerbated by having lots of other sequences open as you try to render.
FCP has just gotten tired.

closing windows (sequences) can help,
a restart might help a little more

closing down other RAM hungry apps wouldn't hurt.
Safari, and iTunes spring to mind

but if you have problem clips (like Jude pointed out) in your timeline, you will always get this

i had this happen to me on my large and complex HDV doc recently.
i'd say codecs such as HDV and XDCam would be problematic,
as would H264.

nick
March 19, 2013 12:55PM
It is possible you have stills that are too large. OR...

Out of Memory message is about video memory, not RAM, in my experience. There is a definite bug with the lower end video cards in MacPros. If you have a Matrox Box, turn of video out. Try re-connecting the clip, this works for small things here and there. Select and in and out and render smaller pieces. Believe me I have 20 gigs of ram, FCP can only use 4. And I have just experienced this rendering a single filter on a piece of ProRes LT.

I work on long form stuff a lot and often resort to making a quicktime of portions of my timeline, and putting it on a top layer. Kind of a video stem. And when I need to make changes in these 20 minute reels I cut a hole in it and fix it, and make a new piece.

Start by making a quicktime of half your timeline, and if it fails, quarter it, and so on. I hope this was helpful.

Ethan@advantagevideosystems.com

[www.advantagevideosystems.com]
[www.imdb.com]
[ethan-editor.blogspot.com] (My Reel)

GOING TO NAB2018? USE OUR FREE CODE:LV8875
And visit our booth in South Lower Hall @ SL14916
March 19, 2013 01:53PM
Try what Jude said. Go to sequence settings and set it to render in 8 bit YUV. Often that helps.

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics