SmoothCam with multicam?

Posted by Cris McConkey 
SmoothCam with multicam?
June 20, 2013 07:31PM
I need to do a two camera multicam edit, but one of the angles has a lot of motion. It took about 12 hours for SmoothCam to analyze the footage (I am using FCP 7) but the motion in places is so severe that auto scaling is off and rendering does nothing. If I razor cut a sub-clip on the timeline, then it may work for a given section.

Here is my question:

Can I make a multiclip with the SmoothCam filter applied to one angle, then render after collapsing the multiclip? Also, just curious, where exactly does SmoothCam store its data?

--Cris
Re: SmoothCam with multicam?
June 20, 2013 08:44PM
It does seem to work provide that I make sure to UNcheck the SmoothCam filter BEFORE making the multiclip. I seem to be able to switch angles fine in the viewer with mode set to "open", but when I stop to adjust with the roll edit tool, the old pizza wheel spins for awhile.
June 20, 2013 10:13PM
Answering more of my own question, I found that by razor cutting farther down the sequence from where I am working and collapsing the multiclip to the right, I can make up fopr the deficient memory of my computer and put the pizza wheel to rest.
June 20, 2013 10:37PM
smoothcam info is stored right next to the actual file,
same name, different extension.

nick
June 22, 2013 08:20AM
Thanks Nick.

I now understand a bit more how to go about this. When SmoothCam filter is added, it looks for the analysis file with the same name as the clip but different extension inn the same folder as the actual clip. So, baring moving this file, I am free to add this filter anywhere I choose on any sequence or project, and it will find the analysis file.

Adding the filter to a clip *before* making a multiclip is not necessary and just makes it the editing sluggish even with the filter unchecked. I finished this phase of my project with another multiclip for which one angle was analyzed. (The clip can be analyzed anywhere). I then copied my filter settings and pasted after collapsing the multiclip. I could as well have copied one sub-clip with the filters and pasted filter attributes to a selection on the timeline.

Perhaps this topic will help someone else who is starting out with multiclip on a horrendously long program.

--Cris
shaleshockmedia.org
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics