Complete loss of clips on timeline

Posted by Delphinus 
Complete loss of clips on timeline
July 26, 2013 11:20AM
Good morning. Have any of you had this happen before? I am editing in FCP 7 with a MacPro Intel and adequate memory using OS X 10.6.8. I have been working on this project for months. So, I go to Disk Utility and see that one of my drives has a note that there is a problem with one of my drives that cannot be fixed, yet it is on my desktop and all the media in it works perfectly. So, I shut down FCP and transfer all the media successfully from this drive to another drive with adequate space on it. Then I restart the computer. The problem drive does not show up on the desktop. No problem, right? I transfered all the date to another drive. Well, when I launch the project, I might have expected to see clips that either need reattachment or rendering, but in fact nearly half of the clips are gone. Where they were before, those spaces in the timeline are now empty. Nothing. I was able to salvage the project by restarting the computer three times and on the third try the problem drive appeared, and I went to an Autosaved timeline from the previous day, and all opened OK. All I lost was a day of editing. But I cannot understand how clips can completely disappear from a timeline. Any ideas why this might have happened? I would love your feedback.
Re: Complete loss of clips on timeline
July 27, 2013 03:30AM
are you on the latest version of FCP7?
that's 7.03.

nick
July 27, 2013 01:23PM
Nck:
Yes. I am using FCP 7.0.3
July 27, 2013 08:02PM
Where was your project file? Was it on the troubled drive together with the media, and was it transfered to the new drive?
Assuming the troubled drive still has its old contents, run Disk Warrior "Rebuild" on it. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Dennis Couzin
Berlin, Germany
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics