multiple sources input to fcp

Posted by franster 
multiple sources input to fcp
August 16, 2013 01:14PM
I am using fcp to edit my animation. I am about to purchase Dragonframe software to make my animation. I want to shoot some of the animation as live unanimated video with my canon Vixia HF G10 a video camera on a location and then use animated material created with my canon rebel in a set in my house. I want to be really sure before I start this project that FCP won't balk at material coming into the timeline from the 2 different codec sources. My fcp is 7 and my mac is a osx 10.6.8 2.4 GHz Quad core Intel Xeon with 8 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM. The machine is a Hackintosh ( please don't yell at me). FCP and the Hackintosh are working very well together and are not the issue. I just want to be careful about the codec differences from the Canon still and the Vixia coming into the timeline. Thanks for any advice you can give me!
Fran
Re: multiple sources input to fcp
August 16, 2013 02:02PM
If I were you, I'd test them first. In my own experience those Canon AVCHD cameras don't mix particularly well with DSLR footage -- many if not all of the Vixias don't shoot actual 23.98fps, for example (it's simulated 24p).

www.derekmok.com
August 16, 2013 11:00PM
Hi Derek,
Thanks for the reply. I have had success with getting the Vixia footage onto fcp but I am worried about the mix. I will test them as you advise. Thanks!
Fran
August 18, 2013 06:14PM
for editing you'd be best off converting to one codec.

one question is do you intend to finish or master your show in FCP or not,
or use FCP to edit, then something else to finish.

if you're going to edit & finish in FCP, then probably best to convert to ProResHQ

but whatever you do, decide on a FRAME RATE before you start.
for animation, i'd go with 24fps of 23.976

nick
August 19, 2013 11:30AM
Nick, Thank you so much for the help!
I will do as you suggest as fcp will be my edit and finish program.
Fran
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics