OT: Your mouse pad!

Posted by Loren Miller 
OT: Your mouse pad!
November 18, 2013 03:47AM
There's no question I bring some old school values and knowledge to my work and outlook, but when I discovered that included an ancient WGBH mousepad which was falling apart, which I'd been using for a Logitech wireless optical mouse giving me terrible performance, I realized my mouse and pad were giving me a teaching moment.

For those who still mouse about on a pad as opposed to trackball or trackpad, there's a whole new breed of mouse pads optimized for optical mice, made by folks like 3M, Allsop, Handstands, etc. I just picked up a circular mousepad by Handstands at MicroCenter. for US$7.99. It's thin, rubberized base, harder but flexible surface, this one printed in a crystalline pattern which I think matters less than how the surface is built, which is made to microscopically reflect the red mouselight bounced into it for clear reception. Well, I didn't know! I'd been comfortable with light-absorbing foam rubber slabs for decades now.

Trying this pad, I found I had to crank the mouse tracking control in my prefs wayyy down! That's what I'd been missing. Mouse glides across it with lightest pressure, much easier on wrist.

Sometimes it's the simple stuff...

Still no excuse not to master the key commands!

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

- Loren

Today's FCP keytip:
Boost or lower clip audio by 3DB with Control-] or [ !

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide™ Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
Re: OT: Your mouse pad!
November 18, 2013 08:18AM
sounds good Loren.

the last mouse pad i bought (or rather my assistant bought it for me via a local office-suply house) was unbelievably bad!
it was so useless, i actually got better performance turning it over, and using blu-tak to stop it slipping on the desk.

but i think mouse pads might be going out of fashion even for mouse users:
and the last place i worked didn't even have one for me: they all just used the table top!
i had to tape a piece of paper to the desk!

i am happier now i have been re-united with my little persian-rug style mousepad:
[www.mouserug.com]

nick
November 18, 2013 02:57PM
I'd like to try that, but Amazon.de does not list what you suggest unfortunately. Do you have a link of a sample pad so I can try to hunt one down around here?

Thanks,
Stefan

--
macpro 2x3 ghz dual core intel, 10.6.8, FCS 2
November 19, 2013 12:42AM
November 22, 2013 09:37AM
[i am happier now i have been re-united with my little persian-rug style mousepad: ]

Oh, those are so cool! But if you get a chance, compare it to the new super thin pads; I think the light absorbency of the MouseRug may affect optical tracking.

- Loren

Today's FCP keytip:
Set a motion effect keyframe instantly with Control-K!

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide™ Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics