Applying graphics between foreground and background in FCP 6

Posted by slomoray 
Applying graphics between foreground and background in FCP 6
November 22, 2013 12:11PM
Hi,
First of all, thanks of all the help in the past. This is a great site. I would like to create a scene where a graphic is behind a subject in the foreground, but in front of the objects in the background. If anyone can suggest how I can do this it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Ray
Re: Applying graphics between foreground and background in FCP 6
November 22, 2013 04:16PM
Ray, if I understand you correctly you want to composite a mid-ground element into a shot, between a foreground subject (person) and background objects. There a few ways to do this but FCP isn't the tool for the job; you need to use After Effects or Motion. It may involve an animated mask or full rotoscoping of the foreground subject, depending on the amount of movement and the degree to which they overlap the mid-ground element.

JVK

November 22, 2013 05:01PM
Thanks JVK,
While I am no expert at it, I will look into trying to do it in Motion.
November 22, 2013 06:29PM
Some ideas to help you get started:

1. Drag the clip into the Motion timeline, then duplicate it so there is another copy above it. Then turn off visibility on the top copy.

2. Insert the graphic into a new layer in-between those layers. Animate it if necessary.

3. Turn the top layer back on and use the pen tool to make a mask around the subject you want in front of the graphic. Start on frame 1, then turn on the 'Record' button. Advance one frame at a time and adjust the mask points as necessary if the subject moves. This will animate the mask. Tedious, but it works.

Good luck!

JVK

November 25, 2013 12:12PM
Hey slomoray,

You may of well received from what i can read, much better advice here, but i have had success on shots using the following technique in FCP although it'll also require photoshop knowledge, it'll also only work if you have a locked shot.

- Take a still of the plate in the timeline via export conversion - still image

- Cut out/artwork the foreground layer off the still image in photoshop, save as png

- Import the png over the initial shot on the 3rd layer (with the original footage on the bottom layer) and then add your graphic element to the second layer

In my experience re-exporting this shot and adding subtle texture/particle overlays also aids the quality of the final shot, to your requirements and taste of course.

WM,
November 25, 2013 01:07PM
Wanted Man Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> - Take a still of the plate in the timeline via
> export conversion - still image

??? From what I can see, this will only work if your foreground element (the subject) is completely dead still. It won't work on a live subject without a greenscreen or rotoscoping.

www.derekmok.com
November 25, 2013 03:52PM
Quite right you are Derek, although as mentioned "You may well receive much better advice here" et-al . . . given the lack of information regarding the shot i thought the workflow may be worth a mention, just something i've rolled with in the past to great success (locked shot/tripod plate, no movement) . . hence the inclusion of texture/particle overlays to blend the shot and add that dimension, this is just something i've done for independent film titles over imagery, not saying it may definitely be applicable here . .

WM,
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics