FCP 6 and Mavericks

Posted by rob page 
FCP 6 and Mavericks
November 22, 2013 06:23PM
I want to upgrade my OS to Mavericks. Not cause I care about Mavericks, I don't, but because I want to move to Logic which is awesome and has vastly outpaced Digital Performer over the years. Problem is, I don't know if my FCP 6 will still function properly. I can't upgrade to FCP 7 of course and if 6 won't open at the end of this odyssey, I will be really and truly scr***d.

Does anyone have experience running FCP 6.0.6 under Mavericks?

EDIT: My son is running Mavericks on his iMac and FCP 6.0.6 opens and seems to run fine. But that doesn't mean there aren't hidden problems. I guess what I'm asking is, has anyone had extensive use of 6 on X?

Thx
27" iMac - 3.4 GHz i7, 16 GB RAM
current os 10.7.5
Re: FCP 6 and Mavericks
November 25, 2013 11:50AM
Further discussion here.
November 25, 2013 04:55PM
Somewhat OT, but I wonder why you think that Logic is superior to DP, except for the amount of plug-ins maybe.

Stefan

--
macpro 2x3 ghz dual core intel, 10.6.8, FCS 2
November 26, 2013 12:03PM
The plug-ins, soft-synths. Drum designer. All that stuff is built in. MOTUs stuff (Mach 5, etc) is an additional cost and don't sound anywhere near as good IMHO. Pitch correction better implemented. Track stacks. Speed. I stress: I've used DP for 20 years, am in NO hurry to learn a new program, but Logic just flat out crushes the competition. (Though, in fairness to MOTO, I stopped updating at DP 7. Maybe 8 got better. But it would have had to have gotten WAYYYY better to catch up to Logic)
November 26, 2013 05:52PM
Logic is pretty good it would be the only DAW i would use other than protools. I think you should use the DAW or NLE you can use best. It takes 6months - 2years self training to get into a new DAW and feel proficient enough to do whats needed.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
November 27, 2013 03:28PM
Second to J.Corbett. I semi-switched from DP to Logic 7 years ago and I *still* hate that program. Yes, it has some fabulous features they can write on the box, but it takes a ton of incredibly cumbersome editing for very basic tasks, in particular when it comes to editing MIDI events.

The only reason I needed to switch at the time was because Logic was the only DAW that could (still can?) handle TDM hardware with its ESB bridge and VST (this was still on OS9 mind you). I too was impressed with the list of supplied plug-ins and now I have too much stuff in EXS format to switch back for good. Do I use all this ES-1 ES-2 etc. stuff? Never. Ever.

When I need to work on MIDI heavy stuff, I always go back to DP. It is a royal pain to process MIDI events in Logic. Also, coming from DP, you'll probably never understand why there has to be something like the environment.

Stefan

--
macpro 2x3 ghz dual core intel, 10.6.8, FCS 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics