AME CS6 vs Compressor for DVD compression

Posted by Joe Riggs 
AME CS6 vs Compressor for DVD compression
January 03, 2014 10:37AM
Created a DVD recently and I typically use Adobe Media Encoder because it is much faster.

So I exported my 1080p file from FCP7.

Then selected the MPEG2-DVD match attributes preset in AME. But in its default settings, I'm left with 2 horizontal black bars on the side, to remedy this, I have to select "Scale to Fill".

When using Compressor, if I select the default Best settings DVD preset, it will deliver an outputted file without those horizontal black bars.

So I was curious why AME does it that way? As it has to blow up the picture albeit slightly to get rid of the horizontal lines. Since Compressor is not scaling the the image (unless it's doing it by default and I can't tell), wouldn't this be the preferred way?

When comparing the two exports said by side the AME with "scale to fill" and the default one from Compressor. The version from Compressor is closer to the original 1080p export from FCP7. I doubt most people could tell the difference because it's only a 2 to 3% blow up in AME but still.
Re: AME CS6 vs Compressor for DVD compression
January 03, 2014 02:53PM
> Then selected the MPEG2-DVD match attributes preset in AME. But in its default settings, I'm left with 2 horizontal black bars on the side, to remedy this,
> I have to select "Scale to Fill".

If you're making a DVD, then your frame size shouldn't be wide in the first place -- even widescreen DVDs have to use an anamorphic file at 720x480. So my first guess is that you're not using the right specs.

www.derekmok.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics