How to rip a DVD and re-make it

Posted by Jeff Nelson 
How to rip a DVD and re-make it
April 09, 2014 09:11AM
I have an old project from many years ago and the client wants to make a change. I don't have all the original elements on my system and he only wants a very small change made in one of the videos. Is there a way to take the contents of the finished DVD and import it into DVDSP, fix that one video and then re-burn?

I am trying to figure out a way to do it that doesn't require ripping the thing, encoding and reencoding everything, rebuilding the menus and chapter markers, etc.

Anyone know of a way to take the TS files and somehow do this painlessly?

Thanks!
Re: How to rip a DVD and re-make it
April 09, 2014 12:52PM
DVD Studio Pro is not an editing tool. You can try using QuickTime Player Pro to edit the MPEG-2, but in my view, you should be ripping the DVD and doing the edit properly, and bill the client for all that work. It's not your problem that the client wants to tinker so long after the project wrapped.

www.derekmok.com
April 09, 2014 02:36PM
Good point, Derek. Thanks. I know how I can make the fix on the video in question, but I am just wondering whether there is software that lets me take a DVD and preserve everything without having to re-encode everything, other than the one item I need to fix. The menus w/music, chapter markers, extras and so on, none of that needs to change. If there were a way to rip it and preserve all those so that all I needed to do was to switch out the one video that needs fixing, and then be able to have the DVD be all good to go, that would be my preference. Like if I could just take the one vob file that needs fixing, fix it and encode as a vob again, put it back in with the rest and have it work, I'm looking to know if that's do-able or if there is any software out that that would help. Thanks, if anyone knows.
April 12, 2014 05:18PM
you should be able to rip just the chapter you need,
i remember you could do that with Mac The Ripper
thats the easy part.

re-building the DVD would be the tricky part, i think.

i seem to remember thinking DVD 2 one might be usable for this,
back when i was using it, but never did it myself.

or there may be a simple way of just replacing one set of vob files and re-formatting.

nick
April 12, 2014 11:20PM
[ The menus w/music, chapter markers, extras and so on, none of that needs to change.]

And if you're working from a disk image (.img) file, they won't, and you'll save a little time, those elements should scoot right through-- as long as your newly cut program is reintroduced as an updated asset.

But the addition makes for a timing change, so the entire program has to be converted to an edit codec, cuts made, then exported as a new QuickTime source into the authoring system and re-encoded as an updated asset. For conversion I Like Cinematize II to select specific chapters in a VTS. (I have no courage for open source freebies, but some work well.)

I update asset for re-encode all the time, with Apple's simple iDVD program-- which is unfortunately end of lifed, but still works fine if your system has multiple boot partitions. I go into 10.5.8 to produce simple client DVD's using iDVD, orginally part of iLfe. I have seen them projected in theaters, very satisfactory. DVDSP works the same way, but it's fancier.

Best, as always,
Loren S. Miller
www.neotrondesign.com
Home of KeyGuide Central
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics