Which QT Settings Format to Choose to Export Project?

Posted by donnaLA 
Which QT Settings Format to Choose to Export Project?
May 01, 2014 11:11AM
Hi,

I am not familiar with exporting for vimeo or for youtube.
Which QT Setting should be chosen to export/make an output for both of those online channels of my sequence?

The sequence is made up of mostly HD material from various sources the highest being 1280 x 720 and the smallest being 640 x 360 all in 48K.

This is FCP 7 (on an iMac running 10.9.2.)

Thank you,

Donna
Re: Which QT Settings Format to Choose to Export Project?
May 01, 2014 11:17AM
You have two separate questions. The differing resolutions of your media means you first have to choose what resolution to edit with. Editing in 1280x720 would mean you'd have to blow up the 640x360 footage and it will lose sharpness, but your final product will be HD. Editing in Standard Def would mean all the footage will be sharp, but small.

The second question is simple. Vimeo would accept MP4s, so export an MPEG-4 in H.264 codec, same size as your editing frame size, same frame rate, and use at least a 5000kbps bit rate.

www.derekmok.com
May 01, 2014 11:35AM
Thank you, Derek for your favorable assistance, however, your answer I can't quite decipher, sorry. I don't know what resolution has been chosen to edit in, but the sequence is about 3/4 finished already. FWIW, I'm not an editor and I don't know how to use FCP much past a few buttons. I was left with this project when the editor was unable to complete the job and left, and I'm aiming to finish it and output the work that has been done.

Also, I don't see that MPEG-4 in H.264 codec in the drop down list for exporting to QT movie? Just a bunch of AJA Kona and other terms for choices.
I also don't know what this means: "same size as your editing frame size, same frame rate, and use at least a 5000kbps bit rate." ??
May 01, 2014 11:52AM
You should probably get somebody to help you in person -- there are too many things you need to know in order to proceed. If you've never done this yourself, you'll be going around and around in circles.

To check what settings were used in your Sequence, press COMMAND-0.

To export the timeline, make sure no In/Out points are selected (unless they're intentional), COMMAND-E, Current Settings. The resulting QuickTime movie will be the same codec as your Sequence and at full resolution and frame rate. Put that file into Compressor or MPEG Streamclip and do the compression there.

www.derekmok.com
May 01, 2014 01:17PM
Thank you, Derek. I thought the same - to ask to have someone to come here to help me with this in person.
I will show them the notes you've posted too, to ease us through this! Lots of gratitude your way :-)
May 02, 2014 07:27AM
simplest first step is to export from FCP with the same settings.

this doesn't mean laboriously finding the correct settings, when you do a simple export, the DEFAULT option is to export using the existing settings.
(you can see those options at the bottom left of the export window)

make a self contained export (also the default, but worth checking)

then you have a file you can run though compressor, or Mpeg Streamclip to squish it down to a better size for Vimeo.

Vimeo do have specific setting that they accept.
to be honest, i've rarely managed to get them right!
so i just upload something of good quality, and let them re-format it on their end.

i did that just today, in fact smiling smiley

my "good quality" upoloadable was a conversion to H264.
set to half way between medium and high,
and keeping the same frame size (in my case 1280x720)

it always pays to compress the audio. uncompressed audio takes up a lot of room in a small file.

i use AAC,
set to 128 as a minimum, and 320 as a max
it you don't have music chose mono - half the size!

cheers
nick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics