better rotation filter?

Posted by dcouzin 
better rotation filter?
July 03, 2014 09:25PM
FCP7 User Manual, Chapter 85, Rendering and Video Processing Settings
When you adjust a clip’s Rotation parameter, the clip is automatically rendered using
the Fastest setting, regardless of the option chosen from the Motion Filtering Quality
pop-up menu of the Video Processing tab of the current sequence settings.

I verified the warning. Rotations done with the Rotation parameter in the Motion tab are exactly the same whether Motion Filtering Quality is set to "Fastest (linear)" or to "Best". Method: a black-and-white resolution test clip went through five small rotations and then one rotation back, in separate generations. Both ProRes HQ and uncompressed 10-bit codecs were tried. Sameness was determined by the Difference composite mode.

The rotation results were all really ragged -- aliased and unsharp. A better rotation filter is desired.

It has been suggested to use the filter "Basic 3D" that comes with FCP7. I found that using the "Z axis Rotation" in Basic 3D gives exactly the same results as using rotation in the Motion tab. The test method was as above.

A free filter called "Andy's Better 3D" has been suggested. But from Andy's description of it --
andymees.wordpress.com/better3d/
It was based entirely on Apple's own "Basic 3D" filter script, but by tweaking a couple
of lines of code it offered just an extra gnat’s whisker of control"
-- it can't be better in image quality.

High quality alias free image rotation (the title of an academic paper from 1996) is possible but not simple. Are there plugins for FCP7 that do a better job of it than the Motion tab and Basic 3D filter? Are there other softwares? What about FCPX?

Dennis Couzin
Berlin, Germany
Re: better rotation filter?
July 05, 2014 02:05AM
"Are there plugins for FCP7 that do a better job of it than the Motion tab and Basic 3D filter?"

i dont know

"Are there other softwares?"

again, i don't know for sure, but i'd reckon the answer would have to be YES!

things to try:

FCPX
Resolve
After Effects
Re: better rotation filter?
July 22, 2014 04:49PM
After Effects has powerful ways to render out rotations based on tailoring keyframing parameters. Load a clip, give that a try.

- Loren

Today's FCP 7 keytips:
Copy clip Attributes with Command-C
Paste selected Attributes with Option-V
Remove selected Attributes with Command-Option-V !

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide™ Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics