FCP7 renaming clips and media files after capture

Posted by ewillhark 
FCP7 renaming clips and media files after capture
October 30, 2014 12:05AM
I logged and captured an HDV tape without naming the reels or clips. The media was auto-named Untitled and the clip numbers advanced when I didn't want them to, after a capture was aborted. So I want to rename the clips in the browser and rename the media files in the Capture Scratch folder. Is this OK or am I asking for problems? I understand renaming media files will disconnect them from my project (but they can be reconnected?). Or am I better off trashing everything and starting capture over, naming reels and clips before starting capture?
Re: FCP7 renaming clips and media files after capture
October 30, 2014 02:17PM
As you haven't started editing, you can easily re-nam the clips in the finder,
Maybe using a simple batch re- naming app,
Then re-import the files into fcp.

Alternately, rename the clips in fcp,
Then use the modify > rename function to rename the files based on the clip names.

Nick
November 11, 2014 03:58PM
Thanks Nick. Since I've only done a few of my 17 tapes, I'm inclined to start over with batch capture instead of capture Now.
On the other hand, some of the tapes have breaks in timecode (causing fcp to stop and start at zero again with Capture now). I understand these breaks can screw up fcp timecode if I use batch capture; but I wonder why I couldn't just batch capture each section before and after a break separately rather than try to log and capture the whole tape with a single batch capture.
November 13, 2014 01:13AM
"Since I've only done a few of my 17 tapes, I'm inclined to start over with batch capture instead of capture Now. "

why??

i prefer to capture all as quickly as i can, then log & sort it in FCP,
i also use media manager to break the long captures into smaller chumnks IF THE MATERIAL DICTATES.
yes, i re-name files as i go.

"On the other hand, some of the tapes have breaks in timecode"

not a big problem
but remember after a break to enter a new reel#
i also make simple notes on the tape case re the duration of each segment,
001 15mins
001a 30 mins
001b 10mins
this can help if you ever need to re-capture

a big question is if your program will require an on-line / off-line process.
if you capture as HDV, it's likely you will not, and you will be cutting with what you send to the "on-line"

so as to avoid having to re-capture due to some drive failure, always have backups.

nick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics