Sony FS700 mts to Quicktime duplicating files

Posted by KLLvideo 
Sony FS700 mts to Quicktime duplicating files
December 19, 2014 11:48AM
Mac OSX 10.9.5 and 10.7.5

I am wondering if anyone has run into this same problem.

Here is a basic outline of my workflow for creating ProRes.
1. I copy the entire contents of a card into a folder.
2. I duplicate it and save it on an external drive.
3. I copy the AVCHD folder (or now on Mavericks AVC Content) into my watch folder for AME CS6 to convert the mts files to ProRes. Exporting ProRes and Proxies into separate output folders.
4. Once everything is done I move the media into the media folder for the project and prepend the file names to give ProRes and Proxies a unique, but identical.

The above process may create a lot of duplicates, but it works and (knock on wood) we haven't had an issue ever loosing media.

So here is my issue... I frequently convert files from the Sony FS700 with no problems, but there are a few exceptions. I believe that the only reason I am not having a lot of problems is because most of the clips are shorter. This is the second time in 4 months that I have run into the issue of having multiple mts files that are being duplicated. After discussing this with the shooter and putting the card back into the camera we only see one clip. The shooter did confirm the interview was one clip approximately 30 mins in length. After searching forums for an answer to this I came up with nothing. I do understand that the camera will break up these files to allow them to be saved. But I am not finding a program that will "stitch" them back together.

If the conversion doesn't lock up I end up with 2 or more of the same ProRes/Proxy that are identical. A 30 minute interview is resulting in four 30 minute quicktime files. So if I have the space why such an issue of having even more duplicates? Because it locks up AME and stops conversions. Fortunately I haven't run into a deadline, but I would like to get to the bottom of this before it becomes more of problem.

I will state the yes our workflow still utilizes FCP7. For all those who may recommend that we move on. I will say that I tested an import into Premiere on CS6 and also the most recent release. I see multiple mts files in both versions. I downloaded the AVCHD converter for Mac and saw multiple mts files, but since the trial version only allowed for a 5 min test. I did not complete an export.

I am interested in hearing if anyone else is experiencing the same issues or has any advice.

Thanks, KLL
Re: Sony FS700 mts to Quicktime duplicating files
December 19, 2014 08:27PM
I've seen something like this with XDCam files in PP, and apparently the answer is to use the Media Browser to bring in the clips instead of just going with 'File>Import'.

I haven't had a chance to test this yet, but I did see some people saying that this solved similar problems.

What I do in PP is just delete the additional files. They are always appended .2 or.3, so it was easy to spot them and junk them. A quick scan shows you if all your files end in .1.

Re: Sony FS700 mts to Quicktime duplicating files
January 05, 2015 09:32AM
Happy New Year. Thanks Jude for your suggestions. I have just tested the card within the Media Browser and it does look like there is only one clip. This still doesn't help my workflow to FCP7 or AME watch folder, but it does answer the question that somewhere within the AVCHD folder there is something that AME is not reading. It is nice to know that I can double check the ProRes conversions if needed to ensure I am not missing anything. If anyone else has any advice or has a better suggestion I am open to trying it.

Thanks, KLL
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics