Converting film sourced 29.976 clip back to PAL

Posted by MetalGuru 
Converting film sourced 29.976 clip back to PAL
May 26, 2017 08:36AM
I need to convert a trailer back to PAL. It's originally from a telecined PAL master, but has been poorly converted to NTSC 29.98. I've had a few attempts at this but it just looks jery and awful.
Re: Converting film sourced 29.976 clip back to PAL
May 26, 2017 08:43AM
Use the "conform" option in Cinema Tools.
May 27, 2017 08:08AM
I've already tried doing a conform to 25fps after running it through a Reverse Telecine, but it still looks jerky.
May 27, 2017 09:01AM
The converted file looks a mess, with dupe frames, missing frames. jumps and interlaced/cross frames across scene changes. sad smiley
May 27, 2017 09:03AM
Conforming to 25fps can't add or remove interlace, so that would point to the reverse telecine being incorrect.
May 28, 2017 07:32AM
Graeme, what would be the best workflow for this?
May 28, 2017 07:41AM
Use the pulldown removal in Cinema Tools. But you have to be careful to make sure the cadence is correct. Make sure you view the resulting 24fps movie frame by frame at 100% to spot any interlace artifacts. Also remember that if it's from a pre-edited clip the cadence can change on every edit, so you may need to splice on cadence changes and do each bit alone. If the cadence for a clip is not correct you'll need to select the correct cadence rather than make Cinema Tools guess.
May 28, 2017 08:21AM
Thanks Graeme. It's actually a 3.5 minute movie trailer. I usually use Compressor to Deinterlace (I've also tried JES DEinterlacer with this one).

I've never used Cinema Tools as I don't understand how to work out the cadence. Any help would be most appreciated. I have no idea of the capture mode, does this mean I need to try all Capture Mode and Field options? Is there an app that will pre-analyse the clip for me?
May 28, 2017 09:45AM
I'm sorry - it's so long since I've done this!! I think you just need to slowly advance through the clip and spot the pattern of whole or split frames to deduce the cadence.
May 28, 2017 09:55AM
I've no idea what pattern I'm looking for, unfortunately sad smiley

So... I've been testing every option, and up to my 24th setting/attempt, still no luck. I think I'll give up on this one!
May 29, 2017 07:35AM
I think I've worked it out - it would seem that the PAL 25fps clip was transferred to NTSC 29.98 whilst retaining the 25fps speed.
June 03, 2017 03:48AM
I've done this a few times, either converting from a DVD source or a VHS source.

on two separate occasions (the DVDs) i tried every variation in Compressor with no luck
weirdly my solution was to flip the fields first.
I applied a filed flipping filter first (can't remember if it was a Nattress or a Joe's), and exported,
then ran that file thru Compressor.

i've aso had a DVD where the source had been (i assume) standards converted from PAL to NTSC, and it was hopeless: no way to convert it as there was no clear pattern, and most frames had some level of field blending.

so i left that as NTSC, and checked all my cuts for errant fields.

nick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics