HDV - PAL or NTSC?

Posted by jusrus 
HDV - PAL or NTSC?
August 25, 2006 12:53PM
Hi all,

Great to see the site looking so good - I've been MIA while O/S for a while. Currently in London, before heading to NYC next week - I have a bunch of questions for all you experienced people if you have a spare minute.

I'm thinking about heading in the direction of the Sony FX1, or a similar Sony HDV camera. I know there are mixed reports, but I fairly settled this is what I'm after. So my questions :-

1. Having had a scan on ebay, a lot are listed as PAL specifically - as I'm an Aussie, that would be preferable, but does HD actually have a PAL/NTSC format issue? Or is it more relating to downconverting it to SD?

2. UK prices are comparable to AUS, but US are far cheaper. Only thing is I can get 17.5% VAT off here - I can't find any info regarding tax in the USA. Any ideas? I've done the obvious google search...

3. If any Aussies (Nick or Jude?) have any advice about buying or not buying O/S, I'd be more than interested. I could always spend the cash on a vintage guitar instead! winking smiley Less potential profit in that of course.

As always, thanks for you time.

Justin.
Re: HDV - PAL or NTSC?
August 25, 2006 01:37PM
Don't know about the FX1, but the Z1 can be set to pal or ntsc, quite useful when your continent hopping. I believe the difference is 25 vs. 30 or 60 frames per second. Bought mine from B & H in New York, I'm in California, no tax.

Good luck!

Kevin
August 25, 2006 10:20PM
I know guys who go to Singapore to buy gear sometimes, so it must be do-able..

Repairs - make sure you can get it repaired in your home town and don't have to go back to the original store.

Customs? Is there some sort of duty you have to pay because the goods are over a certain price and avoiding import duty? Might be a nasty surprise when you get home. The customs website might have something on this?
August 26, 2006 12:06AM
Mmmm.
Let's see... HD (or HDV in this case) is not PAL or NTSC. It's HD (luckily, but that's another argument). PAL or NTSC are SD standards. PAL and NTSC doesn't apply to HD and, in fact, 23.976, 24,25, 50 and 60 can all be different valid temporal resolutions for HD.

Now, when you read that a FX1 is PAL or NTSC, it means two thigs: One, that it records HDV with a frame rate that is friendly/easily convertible to one of those standards. But still, it's HD, not PAL or NTSC. The other, that when it performs as a DV camera, it records a PAL (or NTSC) signal.

The bigger sister to the FX1, the Z1, can do both 50i and 60i. This means that it can shoot both PAL and NTSC friendly HDV, and that when it shoots DV it can do it either PAL and NTSC.

Adolfo Rozenfeld
Buenos Aires - Argentina
www.adolforozenfeld.com
August 28, 2006 05:13PM
OK,

Think I getting a grip on this - thanks for all your input. Found quite a useful comparison here :-

[www.sonyhdvinfo.com]

(Hope I'm allowed to post links?)

So, a further question. I assume 50i and 60i refer to FPS? If so, if I film in 60i on an FX1, will I have issues down the track converting to anything that might be used in Australia (a PAL continent)? Has anyone done this?

My impressions are that if I only want to work in HD, and I don't want the extra bells and whistles of the Z1U, that the FX1 will do fine?

I can forsee some issues with capturing in 60i/American/NTSC HD and then converting though.

Bum. The FX1 is within range, but the Z1U is a fair way off. Looks like it might be a nice vintage guitar unless someone can convince me otherwise?

Thanks again....Justin.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics