Capturing HDV without rendering? HELP!!!!!

Posted by ADROK 
Capturing HDV without rendering? HELP!!!!!
August 30, 2006 12:52AM
Hey gang> Got a question to anyone who can answear it-
is there a way to capture on the fly with HDV/?

running HDV straight from sonycam - no HD card like black magic on system and wanting to find away around having to digitize the whole Hdv tape when i only need certain clips off the tape like the good ole days of dv... also When capturing HDV which codec is best so I dont have to render once the clips are in my project.

i know these are totally noob questions but been with FCP since FCP3 and now finally exploring the last frontier- Any help or giedence would be very appreciated.. thanks in advance..adam
Re: Capturing HDV without rendering? HELP!!!!!
August 30, 2006 01:06AM
uh... why would you ever capture a whole tape if you just needed a couple clips? in all my HDV testing, i was able to log and capture what i needed just like the "good ole days" as you call them...

as long as you use the right easy setup for your recorded format (which for you im assuming since you said you have a sonycam is hdv1080i) you shouldnt have to render...

and although ive not tested doing so with HDV, i cant imagine why you wouldnt be able to capture on the fly, again as long as your project settings match what your cam is sending it. - just open your capture window and hit capture now.
August 30, 2006 01:16AM
thanks for responding..
basically I thought the same thing as well. after a day of testing-
seems that even when everything is set to hdv or evan intermediate codec-- I still have to render- and have no controls over in or out points- just starts automatically capturing. there is no log and capture window where i can preview or log clips- keep in mind i have no HD capture card- so im thinking thats there is no way around rendering the clips once they are brought in... any more thoughts?
August 30, 2006 01:29AM
again. the secret to avoiding render of raw footage is that your sequence settings MUST MATCH that of what youre capturing.
August 30, 2006 01:37AM
Wayne there are only two settings that i know of hdv / apple intermediate

I have tried all hdv as well as all apple intermediate still they need to render-
and the log and capture window dosn't allow me control-

i might try dvcprohd for a sequence settting but still have no controls-
im pretty sure i remeber that when capturing HDV it needs to be brought in as one clip...
August 30, 2006 01:48AM
1. Create a project.
2. Choose an HDV EASY SETUP that matches what you shot. 1080i50, 1080i60, 720p30...
3. CREATE A NEW SEQUENCE...trash Sequence 1. This will have the OLD settings that won't match the easy seup you just chose.
4. Capture and edit.
August 30, 2006 01:56AM
dvcprohd aint gonna help you because what you have isnt dvcprohd. depending on your model of sony camera, HDV1080i60 is most likely gonna be what you want.

i used a sony (z1) when i was doing my HDV stuff and i was able to capture one-off clips from the tape with no problems - i think you may be doing something wrong somewhere in your workflow...
August 30, 2006 02:01AM
Yeah...gonna need a capture card for DVCPRO HD capture. you can convert AFTER you capture...but you need to capture first.
August 30, 2006 02:03AM
thanks shane- ill give it a try....
August 30, 2006 02:07AM
Yep - Just tried that and didnt werk either- really got to thankyou guys for helping me hash this out.. Wayne- I have used HDV1080i60 same problem- I am also using a clients new dual intel macbookpro- UG!
August 30, 2006 03:19AM
hmmmm. then are you running the UB version of fcp?
August 30, 2006 11:16AM
I capture HDV from a sony z1 all the time. I have control while capturing and don't have to render in the timeline, something is wrong in your set ups. Try trashing your prefs and setting up again. You are using firewire from your camera to capture from correct? HD card has nothing to do with it, I edited a whole show without a hd card. It sounds as if your camera may have been set up strangely during the filming process. Make sure it was filmed using 1080i 60 and not something else.

Kevn
August 30, 2006 12:32PM
thanks evryone for all thier help!!!! I will be continueing testing today and will post my findings- When in doubt start at the begining and reconfigure everything ... Cant than you all enough for the help you have given me !!!
ill post in awhile....
UPDATE FIXED>>> YAY!!!!
September 01, 2006 12:11AM
OK>>>WHEW!!!!!!!! thanks again to all who listened and replied to my frustration....

Finally was able to capture HDV without haveing to render in the timeline- i had to traash prefs at least three times run full disk permissions and zapp PRam and restart several times for this to work .. but it did- The machine I have been on was frigged up from not being configured properly...

for those who might have the same problem-
First of trash finalcut prefs... re set your project to accept HDV- Restart-
Create Easy setup If the Create easy setup set to HDV{ with apple intermediate i was finding I was still having to render and didnt give me jog/shuttle control for capturing clips on the fly}
If that dosent work .. REPEAT PROCESS!!!!

best of luck to everyone .. and much thanks yous again..now on to my next problem....

{ editing in a timeline with both HDV and DV material to be renderd out asSD and distibuted on a dvd UGGG!}
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics