HD Edit Suite part deux

Posted by Aaron Zander 
HD Edit Suite part deux
September 20, 2006 04:25PM
ok so last we all talked, I was coming up with the basics of the room, and hoping that it would happen.

We got the word the other day that another department is purchasing a dvc pro Hd deck and hd monitor to set up into a lab we design!

so here's what we are going for

mac pro 3.0 ghz of processing power
8 gigs of ram (purchased separately)
500 gig hd set up an ide drive in the second optical port for the boot (sent this way from apple)
and we would build a 2tb sata raid internally
ati radeon X1900
kona 3 card w/ breakout box (currently 2765 w/ tax/shipping)

so that?s all set, but what we are trying to look at is a full set of scopes waveform, vector scope.
The question is we can't spend on a whole lot on them, and we were wondering if a standard def set of scopes will work with hd, or if there is some other sort of compromise that can be made

-Aaron
Re: HD Edit Suite part deux
September 20, 2006 04:32PM
Standard Def scopes will not work with HD footage. You will need HD scopes which run between $4k and $18k. Or, you can get Final Touch HD for $4k and use the software scopes from that, which are spot on. I hear that FCP has fixed their internal software scopes, but it bears some testing on how they deal with HD. The current ones miss a lot, and required me to do a bit of workarounding (is that a word?).

An HD monitor isn't cheap either. $4k for lower end LCD which might be "decent" to $17k for good reliable LCD, then to $10k-$35k for CRT monitors.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
Re: HD Edit Suite part deux
September 20, 2006 04:37PM
the monitor it self is taken care of but thanks for that. we have a preview monitor coming with the deck.

ok, I will recomend final touch then thanks shane
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics