Firewire Issues with FCP/MAC OSX (?)

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Firewire Issues with FCP/MAC OSX (?)
September 25, 2006 02:23PM
Hello (again!),

I've just purchased a brand spanking new 500GB G-RAID drive (to replace the crappy LaCIE USB drives I've been having problems with). But I'm now having problems when trying to use both the 800FW (back of G5) G-RAID connection and the 400FW (front of G5) DV Camera connection at the same time - in order to capture media to the G-RAID drive.

SYSTEM INFO: FCP HD 4.5 on a G5 MAC with OSX. Media storage: 500GB-RAID (400/800FW)

BACKGROUND: The final project is an 8 min video. I have a large amount of DV source material that I have to capture for the offline edit. There are other projects on the G5 hard drive so I have to store my media on the external G-RAID FW drive.

PROBLEM: I have the G-RAID connected via the 800FW port in the BACK of the G5. In order to capture media I connect my DV camera via the 400FW port in the FRONT of the G5. When the G-RAID is mounted FCP does not recognize the camera and I can't log or capture.

The MAC G5 does not like the above arrangement either: when both the 800FW G-RAID drive and the 400FW DV camera are connected to the G5 at the same time I keep getting a message that I have to restart the MAC. Sometimes the G-RAID drive mounts when I restart sometimes it does not.

(FCP recognizes the 400FW DV camera when the 800FW G-RAID is not connected.)

Is there a way to solve this?! Thanks in advance - this is very frustrating and I need to start redigitizing all of my media. - Stefani
Re: Firewire Issues with FCP/MAC OSX (?)
September 25, 2006 02:37PM
Yeah, don't use the front port. Stay in the back of the Mac.

That front port, doesnt it use same bus as as the back FW 400 port? Anyway, you do have 2 FW ports in the back right? Plug your deck in that one, not the front.

Michael Horton
-------------------
Anonymous User
September 25, 2006 03:04PM
OK. Thanks. I'll try it. The monitor for the G5 is using one USB port and the 400FW port on the back of the G5. I'll try and reconfig the monitor to the front 400FW port, and use the back port for the camera and the G-RAID and see what happens... - Stefani
September 25, 2006 03:44PM
The monitor? Never heard of a monitor using a FW port. Unplug it from the FW part and leave it plugged into the USB port. Bet it still works.

Michael Horton
-------------------
September 26, 2006 07:16AM
Hello

All Apple monitors have 2 USB and 2 Firewire 400 ports in the back hence the lead plugs into the DVI and USB and Firewire ports.

Derek
September 26, 2006 09:27AM
I was under the inpression that it WAS a good idea to use the front FW400 port and the rear FW800 port for disk and deck connections since they are on different busses?

Is that not true?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics