managing HDV

Posted by UpshotKnothole 
managing HDV
October 10, 2006 03:38PM
What's up everyone,
working on a large commercial style project and we have been shooting a variety of formats do to equipment availability. Been shooting HDV and DV (16:9) with an XLH1 and DV (16:9) with a sony DSR 570. Using FCP 5.1.1 and wondering what will be best to convert and edit too? DVCproHD sounds fine but can you up-res the DV to this format to be compatible on the same timeline with the HDV footage? if not please suggest.. open to any help.
thanks a ton,

Ryan halsey
cessna aircraft
rudemaxx@aol.com
Re: managing HDV
October 10, 2006 04:17PM
Is the DV footage progressive or interlace?

The uprezzing product "Instant HD" does a good job with progressive footage.

One thing I do know, though: multiple formats in a FCP timeline may feel OK for a while, but later on tech problems can bite you in the ass. Like during Media manager operations. Do try to get everything into one format before editing.

-Christopher
October 10, 2006 04:32PM
I have a tutorial on how to uprez DV to DVCPRO HD using Compressor. I have gotten FANTASTIC results.

I tried the demo of Instant HD and it didn't work for some reason. Thus why I went with compressor.

[proapptips.com]

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
October 10, 2006 04:43PM
Cool, Shane. Is that with interlace or progressive footage?

-Christopher
October 10, 2006 04:50PM
Oh, I see now. nice....

-christopher
October 10, 2006 05:02PM
It converts interlaced into progressive. helps that it was FILM to begin with...but I have had success with regular video too.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
October 10, 2006 11:59PM
Shane-

Do you think its better to uprez to DVCProHD from DV anamorphic or regular DV?

I have some DV anamorphic footage shot in 24p that i'd like to scale up, my thought was the 16x9 of DV progressive would be better than cropping regular DV. Any thoughts?

***Nice tutorial by the way, thanks....***
October 11, 2006 08:00AM
the footage was 1080i, and the DV 16:9 native (w/ the 570 & the XLH1), plus some green screen junk we have to put in (being the wonderful world of corporate video) that is DV 4:3, don't ask why, i couldn't persuade otherwise. I'll try compressor with all 16:9 and then probably nest in the 4:3 timeline. Do you see any forthcoming problems if i take this route??

by the way you guys are the sh*t

ryan halsey
cessna aircraft
October 12, 2006 08:31AM
I de-interlaced my movie but it didn't look good on the computer monitor. If I output progressive for DVD SP, will the DVD picture look better? I thought all TV monitors show movie the interlace mode anyway, so where does progressive come in.

I'm seeing ads for progressive TVs now. What's that all about?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics