FCS install won't recognize other drives

Posted by Barry 
FCS install won't recognize other drives
October 30, 2006 04:14PM
Hi all, I just installed Tiger & FCS on a new "system drive", and all went ok, until I tried to change a folder name on my "scratch drives". I now have "read only" permissions on those drives. How do I regain permisson to write to these drives?
System Config: G4 Quicksilver Dual 1ghz. & 1gig ram. Thanx Barry
Re: FCS install won't recognize other drives
October 30, 2006 04:59PM
Select the drive and press APPLE-I. Ownership & Permissions settings are in the bottom.

Also check your user-account settings under System Preferences.

www.derekmok.com
October 31, 2006 11:33AM
Thanks Derek for your response. I was able to get 2 out of 3 scratch drives to cooperate but the 3rd drive will not. I can't get it to change and keep the "read/write setting. When I try to make changes such as add a folder I get *an unexpected error occurred (error code -50). When I try to rename a folder I get * try using another name with fewer characters or no punctuation marks* even though I tried to rename it "a" (minus the quote marks). When I try to erase it I get *could not unmount disk*.
Now this disk was working fine under Panther. Any ideas? Thanks Barry
October 31, 2006 12:08PM
Try copying all of the drive's contents to another drive. Then reformat the drive.

www.derekmok.com
October 31, 2006 12:18PM
Hi All, I found a work around for my problem, as I will explain, but I am still curious as to why I could change 2 drives but not the 3rd.
Here's my work around. I anticipated that there would be some kind of issue, call me paranoid, when I embarked on my upgrade path. So I started with a new system drive and left Panther and FCP4 on the old drive. When things went sideways, I unplugged the new drive and hooked up the old drive. I went to "get info" , as Dered suggested, for the problem child, err drive, and checked the box "ignore ownership of this drive" and closed out. Shut down, reconnected the new drive and all is well in the universe.
Thanks to Derek for pointing me in the right direction and thanks to all of you who offer your expertise on this forum. It is the best resource for anyone using FCP. Barry
October 31, 2006 02:02PM
Derek, I just followed your last suggestion of reformatting the drive although I had to reboot Panther then go back to Tiger. I didn't want to have a ticking timebomb hanging around. Funny thing though...My local Mac Store couldn't give me any advise except to bring it in and Apple Tech Support didn't offer your idea up as a solution. Again, Thanks for your input. Barry
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics