HDV vs. Apple Intermediate

Posted by Scott Erickson 
HDV vs. Apple Intermediate
November 14, 2006 12:34PM
OK, other than removing the GOP structure, what else is different between these two codecs? Is AI still the 4:2:0 color space or something different? Will motion graphics work better in this over normal HDV? Could someone help explain the difference between these?

thanks...
Re: HDV vs. Apple Intermediate
November 14, 2006 01:42PM
[docs.info.apple.com] would seem to answer the second question about colour space. Down at the bottom.

Because AI is not a temporal compression scheme it would likely be better for bouncing around between edit and mograph applications.

Then there's the issue of HDV actually referring to a number of variations produced by different manufacturers all using the same name but no being cross compatible. Which HDV are you using?

As the apple doc mentions, the bandwidth of AI is quite high compared to HDV.

ak

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
November 14, 2006 02:16PM
So the color space is the same and the data rates are high but the codec is less processor intensive...hmmm, so its the poor mans version of DVCProHD, albiet super poor mans.

Storage isn't much of an issue but i do a fair amount of graphics and layovers, plus i dont want to have to wait for GOP restructuring to go to tape or anything. Everything is pretty much Sony's 1080i HDV so i'll have to make sure we got some extra room...

thanks...
November 14, 2006 02:27PM
Test your workflow completely before you commit to something like that. How does recapturing work? How does a bounce to AE and back look?
There is something to be said for not processing your footage any more than you have to, especially with HDV. Some people on here won't touch the format with a fully extended boom pole and others love it.
Test Test Test.

ak

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics