media manager f**kup?

Posted by Gregory O'Toole 
media manager f**kup?
November 17, 2006 12:06AM
hello everyone!
so i gave a timeline to my colleague with all the associated media on an external drive. i used media manager to copy the relevant media to that drive from my computer's drive. i guess i clicked "delete unused media from duplicated items" or unclicked "include master clips outside slections" bc the clips on the drive are subdivided in accordance with the timeline. (ie: say i had a quicktime that was orignally a 60 min capture of an entire tape called Ala60, there are now three clips corresponding to the three sections of that tape that i used in the timeline, called ala60-1, ala60-2, and ala60-3.)
now i want to incorporate my colleague's edits into the master timeline, and her project file is referencing files that don't exist on my system (ie: ala60-2).
what can i do???
thanks for any ideas!!

greg
Re: media manager f**kup?
November 17, 2006 12:49AM
Copy all the media from her drive to yours and reconnect.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
November 17, 2006 12:55AM
thanks for the reply shane. but if i do that i have about 70 gigs of redundant files on my drive. if there is a way around that i'd prefer not to do that.
thanks!
greg
November 17, 2006 01:00AM
Her edits are linked to her files. There is no way to reconnect them to the media on your system as they have different names and durations. The only way I can see doing this is getting the media from her.

Borrow the drive you gave her all the footage on.

And 70 gigs? That's nothing. You can get a 250GB drive for under $150...firewire.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
November 17, 2006 01:17AM
Greg --

If it were me, I would buy a new drive (as Shane suggested), clone hers, and continue your work from that source. A relatively inexpensive way to stop worrying and get back to editing. In fact, if you do a direct clone, naming the drive the same, you might not even have to reconnect -- her project will never know its reading from a new drive.

Just a thought

Good luck!
Karl
November 17, 2006 01:19AM
If you clone her drive and give it the same name you WON'T HAVE TO RECONNECT. That is what I did with my current job. I cloned all the footage from their RAID (1.35 TB) to my Raid and gave it the same name. I opened the project and wasn't asked to reconnect anything.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
November 17, 2006 10:00AM
thanks for the replies shane and karl!
greg
You mean media MANGLER?
November 17, 2006 05:51PM
November 18, 2006 09:12PM
When it's operator error, (as in this case) who is the real mangler? ;-)

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
November 18, 2006 10:48PM
hahaha, fair enough!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics