Dumb workflow

Posted by Gene Brockhoff 
Dumb workflow
November 26, 2006 04:35PM
I started out mixing HVX 720/24p and DVX 480/24p in an SD seq. I then decided to bump up to HD. I never thought to run Cinema Tools on the DVX100 footage to remove the pulldown, which I'm doing now. I'm not sure if I can just select everything in the timeline and replace it with the newer pulldown removed clip. Am I looking at re-editing all (50) DVX shots and setting the in-out points again, or is there a way to select them all and replace?
Re: Dumb workflow
November 27, 2006 02:37PM
Although editing a 24 fps project in 29.97 is not ideal (an EDL carries limited information about a cut-no filters, color correction, etc.), it actually is quite common.

You are going to need to export an EDL for matchback and reconnect the clips you are making with CT into a 24 fps environment. After you conform, you should check the edits as they could be 1 frame off as you could've cut on a frame where the cadence may have gotten confused. Not to worry, as it is done all the time.

So, first you have to export the EDL properly at 29.97 (use the CMX 3600 EDL), then import that EDL into Cinema Tools for conversion. You do not need a Cinema Tools database to do this.

To convert an NTSC EDL to 24 fps:
1 In Cinema Tools, choose File > Export > Converted EDL > 24 FPS from 30 FPS.
2 In the dialog that appears, locate and choose the EDL file to convert.
3 In the next dialog, choose the name and location for the new file to be created, then
click Save.

The new EDL file is identical to the original, with the exception of the timecode values
and effects durations, which have been converted to match the new frame rate.
Important: 24P timecode is always non-drop frame, and the NTSC timecode to be
converted must also be non-drop frame. Cinema Tools does not prevent you from
converting an NTSC drop frame..based EDL, but instead treats it as if it were non-drop
frame. Be very careful here, as the exported 24 fps EDL will contain errors,
and Cinema Tools inserts a warning message into the EDL.

Now that you have a 24fps EDL, you can get to work reconnecting after you import the EDL.

To import a 24 fps EDL into Final Cut Pro:
1 Open an existing Final Cut Pro project or create a new one.
2 Choose File > Import > EDL.
3 Configure the Import Options dialog, then click OK.

Note: If the dialog does not allow you to choose 24 fps as the editing timebase, it..s
probably because the Easy Setups included with Cinema Tools are not installed. If they
are not installed, reinstall Cinema Tools.

4 Choose the name and location of the EDL file, then click Choose.

A new sequence opens in the project, containing the edits of the EDL, all indicating the
media is offline. The Browser contains a list of the media used in the edit. You can then
use the Final Cut Pro Media Manager to create an new offline sequence that you'd
use to reconnect the clips for the online edit.

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
November 28, 2006 11:16AM
Wow! Thanks Kev. How much should I make the check out for? This is the kind of generosity that makes LAFCPUG the best. I'll jump in and try this method word for word. Thanks again.
November 28, 2006 01:01PM
Hi Gene,
I have enough Cinema Tools knowledge to be dangerous. ;-) Actually, this issue (in a few different permutations) has cropped up a lot over the past few weeks, so I just copy/pasted it from my Blog.

This time? No Charge!

Drop me a PM if you need any further assistance or consulting.
Let us know how it worked out. :-D

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics