Oh dear - Specific "Titles How-To's" needed ASAP- just read P. Hodgett's article...

Posted by Marla Mitchnick 
OK, if anyone's out there, I sure wish I had read this days ago. Of course I have to output tonight and don't have time to totally redo all my titles. Still, I'd like to improve them as much as is possible, so here are some questions:

1)My sequence is set to "uncompressed 8-bit NTSC:" do the DV Codec titles suggestions still apply? If so:

2) "Horizontal lines at least 2 pixels to avoid Interlace flicker"---Are you talking about the text, or literally a horizontal line (as in an underline, etc)?

3) "20 scan lines minimum"---How can I measure this via scanlines? is it a simple pixel size/scan line formula?

4) "Use a Keyline"---Where is this filter? Which kind of key is it? Dying to implement this one ASAP.

Thanks!

Marla
1) The DV codec will cause some additional complications but most of the interlace-related stuff and the color stuff applies to all video in SD or all interlaced video.

2) Horizontal lines in the characters - like the serif lines on at the bottom a capital I or T, for example. And of course, if you did an underline.

3) I wish it were a simple formula. send me an email at philip@intelligentassistance.com and I'll pull an excerpt form the Pro Apps Tips (Vol 3) that will help, or buy the complete volume for $4.95 from proappstips.com.

4) In Title 3D (my recommended Title tool in FCP) it's called "Edge". Also called border (in Outline Text iirc). It's basically any setting in a title tool that puts an outline around the text. Keyline is the old hardware Character Generator term and I'm old school smiling smiley.

Thank your host Mike Horton for sending me alone.

Philip
1) Thanks

2) Oh, OK. But how do you know that the horizontal line is 2 pixels? In the Motion tab, under controls, is the font size measured in pixels? I just am missing some basic factoid here.

3)Will do, both.

4)Sadly I have done all my titles as text from the Canvas pull-down button, "Text," then made my choices all in Motion, (ie Lucida Grande Bold, with soft drop shadows, text colors in white, red, and pink, for different sections of the piece...) Can't see any "key-line"outline options at all there. To re-do them in Title 3D, would I have to start from scratch? Or can I just apply the title 3D video filter to my existing ones?

Thanks a bunch Philip (and thanks host-Mike),

Marla
Well, I just messed around in Boris Title 3D, and I see the error of my ways. Except I can't seem to find the control to make the text a color...

But it is definitely too late for a total re-do tonight, not certain how I can get an edge outline on my titles as they are, at the moment the drop shadow and some RGB color fixes (for Broadcast safety) will have to do...

Oh well! next time I will start in Title 3D. Still curious for answers to my above questions,

Thanks,

Marla
Re: Oh dear - Specific "Titles How-To's" needed ASAP- just read P. Hodgett's article...
December 20, 2006 10:26PM
> I just messed around in Boris Title 3D, and I see the error of my ways. Except I can't seem to
> find the control to make the text a color...

In Title 3D, you have to highlight all the text first before you make changes like Drop Shadow, Outline and Color.

The Color controls are the third tab from the top, on the left side.

www.derekmok.com
Thanks again,

Marla
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics