Couldnt Find My Question... maybe you guys can help

Posted by Chris Baca 
Couldnt Find My Question... maybe you guys can help
December 22, 2006 01:23PM
Sorry if this has been answered, but I am wondering how to get the best capture...
I have a panasonic DVX100A. I can shoot in 24p, or whatever, and I am wondering what is the best way to get the best picture possible between this camera, and my Final Cut version 5.0.4, and my Mac is uh... hold on...is a: Processor- dual 2.5 GHz PowerPC G5, memory-1.5 GB DDR SDRAM with MAC OSX 10.4.8. Once again, I want to know what I should set my camera to, and what I should set my mac to so as to get the best quality. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and again.... sorry if this has been answered.
Re: Couldnt Find My Question... maybe you guys can help
December 22, 2006 01:25PM
Capture using the DV/NTSC Easy Setup.

That's it.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
December 22, 2006 02:40PM
So there is no specific way to do this if I am shooting in 24p? I just capture and thats it? Cause it does not look very good in the preview menu

Any other words of wisdom?
December 22, 2006 02:46PM
24p runs at 29.97fps. It just has a "film look" pulldown pattern to it. 24PA from that camera is what you edit at 23.98.

24p looks fine. Never use your computer monitor to judge quality. Only an external TV connected to the system should be used to determine what the footage really looks like.

Shane's Stock Answer #2: Blurry playback

ONLY JUDGE THE QUALITY OF YOUR MATERIAL ON AN EXTERNAL NTSC MONITOR, OR AT LEAST A TV.

1. Disable overlays on the canvas
2. Make sure you've rendered everything (no green bars at the top of the timeline

[docs.info.apple.com]

Video playback requires large amounts of data and many computations. In order to maintain frame rate and be viewable at a normal size, only about one-fourth of the DV data is used in displaying the movie to the screen. However, the DV footage is still at full quality, and is best viewed thru a TV or NTSC monitor routed thru your camera or deck.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
December 22, 2006 05:26PM
The DVX is a fantastic camera but there is nothing really special about its capturing footage shot at 24p. 24pA is different, only use 24pA if you want to edit in 24(23.98 really) and use normal 24p if you want the film look. When capturing, look under Capture Presets as there is a setting for this called Advanced 2:3:3:2 Pulldown. When you look at the clip it will say 23.98 as opposed to 29.97.

Then you will have to change your sequence settings to match your source material. Remember, 24pA footage will not mesh with normal 29.97 footage so be forwarned.

Shane, Overlays will affect playback on an broadcast monitor? or just in the canvas? what about for Digital Cinema Desktop? I never thought to mess with the overlays other than to clear up clutter...
December 22, 2006 05:31PM
Overlays will not affect playback. They don't appear on the external monitor (or Cinema Desktop)at all, and they go away once you press play. You can only see them when paused.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics