Combining Bit-Rates on the same DVD

Posted by Barry 
Combining Bit-Rates on the same DVD
January 04, 2007 04:47PM
Hi All, I posted my question on the DVDSP forum, but noone has replied. I have 2 videos that I want to put on the same DVD. The first one is 90 minutes long, which I encoded (w/Compressor) at 120 min-Best Quality. The second is an 8 minutes video. Can I encode it at 60 or 90 minute-Best Quality or do I have to encode it at the same quality as the first video? Thanx Barry
Re: Combining Bit-Rates on the same DVD
January 04, 2007 05:17PM
You can mix video with different data rates on a single track in DVDSP, with one clip following the first, but the audio has to match.

Alternatively, you can a create a new track and put your second clip on that second track.

If you want a mixed angle (for more than one camera angle) then the GOP structure must match exactly and you need to watch your total data rate.

If you put one clip after the other on a single track, you may wish to insert a chapter mark at the end of the first clip (control key with mouse highlighting the clip then choose 'add chapter marker to end of clip' from the contextual menu). Then you can create two stories, one with the first video and one with the second.

Hope this helps and don't hesitate to ask for more help.

--Cris

--Cris
Re: Combining Bit-Rates on the same DVD
January 04, 2007 07:10PM
If you're terrified of changing the bit rates on the DVD don't be. The Big Kids change the compression and bit rates on theatrical movie DVDs scene by scene--more often if required.

That "120 Minute High Quality" thing is a series of best guess presets that Apple scooped into one setting. If you dig down far enough, you get to the raw tools where you can set custom multiple pass, max bit rates, average rates, I frame placement, etc. etc.

This also works with the compression markers that Final Cut lets you burn into the show. I'm on shaky ground here because we've never actually used this for anything, but I know the theory. If you know that the story is going to go from high quality mid afternoon and low action to violent action at night, you can chance the compression appropriately on the fly.

Yes, you do need to do that for best results. A two-hour movie will not fit on a DVD if you don't.

Koz
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics