Help! Compression Disaster!

Posted by Marla Mitchnick 
Help! Compression Disaster!
January 09, 2007 08:59PM
Hi Y'all-

Compressed my final, exported, uncompressed self-contained movie file 3 ways so far:

Originally my sequence was with the AJA Io codec, 8-bit uncompressed - 720X486. I exported a self contained uncompressed movie file and used this as the source file for compression.

1)re-imported the file into FCP and went thru compressor (2Pass encode, but using the default settings, no custom settings) - this ended up looking very blurry

(I had also tried converting the sequence to a DV, 720 X 480 one INSIDE of FCP, which also made it quite blurry)

2)re-imported the file into FCP and went thru compressor (2Pass encode, best bit rate possible, frame control on automatic so it'd convert to 720 X 480 in a better way)

3) just through Compressor without FCP (same custom compressor settings)

Both the 2nd and 3rd m2v files would not go into DVD Studio Pro, it said: "incompatible file format!"

What does this mean? Could something be wrong with my original file? Another wierd thing, I brought the m2v file from #2 into FCP to get info, and the size was 640 X 720! I know that the summary inside of Compressor said 720, NOT 640...

I need to make a DVD tonight, and I don't know what to do. Should I relink the project and go through compressor through FCP from the original sequence files? Should I try to do the compression INSIDE of DVDSP, instead of in Compressor itself? Should I just drag the m2v file into toast and mux it there?

This is a desperate sitch, and all help is appreciated!

Thanks,

Marla
PS-also repeated on DVDSP
Re: Help! Compression Disaster!
January 09, 2007 09:01PM
Did you already try importing the full-quality 8-bit SD movie file into DVD Studio Pro? Compressor 2's been reported as having problems.

If that doesn't work, redo the export out of FCP, full-quality self-contained movie file.

www.derekmok.com
January 09, 2007 09:04PM
No I did not - do you mean just bring my self-contained movie into DVD SP, and let it compress it there? I have never compressed inside there, is there a way to control the re-sizing at all? Any settings you'd recommend?

This job has some video, but it's very graphics heavy.

Thanks for the quick reply,

Marla
January 09, 2007 09:10PM
I just brought the self-c movie file into DVDSP OK. Not sure what to do next about "intelligent resizing," and any other encoding settings to be aware of...
January 09, 2007 09:12PM
> No I did not - do you mean just bring my self-contained movie into DVD SP, and let it
> compress it there?

Yep. It's not guaranteed to fix the issue, but it's a possibility. I've had at least two major cases where I exported full-quality self-contained Uncompressed 10-bit SD movie files, but after I turned them into MPEG-2s via Compressor 2, they led to unusable DVDs. When I imported the 10-bit movie files themselves, they were fine.

The only disadvantages to bypassing the Compressor MPEG-2 conversion are:

a) Longer build times in DVD Studio Pro, because the MPEG-2 content has to be made at that stage;
b) Less control over compression settings;
c) More storage space required in order to keep the DVD project active, since you have to keep the Uncompressed SD files rather than small, efficient MPEG-2s.

www.derekmok.com
January 09, 2007 09:22PM
Understood - and thanks - but I need a little more guidance please:

What settings should I use? Max bit rate? Should I change the pixels to square? Any other details appreciated as to the procedure, Do I treat the self-c as my asset to set up the DVD first, and then where do I tell it to encode? Do I just set my settings and then hit build/format and it will automatically encode and then build?

Thanks Derek!

Marla
January 09, 2007 09:24PM
Oops-don't know if this has ANY bearing on ANYTHING, but both the m2V files open up fine in Quicktime and look good...

MM
January 09, 2007 09:39PM
> Do I treat the self-c as my asset to set up the DVD first, and then where do I tell it to
> encode? Do I just set my settings and then hit build/format and it will automatically encode
> and then build?

Yes, though I usually do Build and Format separately.

www.derekmok.com
January 09, 2007 10:11PM
I just did a build, and then took the TS files into toast to burn. The DVD plays smoothly, but the graphics look very blurry again! I noticed in the viewer/simulator menu the rectangular pixel was checked, didn't see any pixel related choices in the encoder settings...

Should I have formatted inside DVDSP? Does that mean burning (I always burn in toast)?

Thanks,

Marla
PS-I am wondering if compressor 2.3 is problematical on the intel machine. It has FCP v5.1.2 universal, but maybe I should redo with compressor on a different machine? I do have access to a "normal" G5 also...

Thanks again, feeling very blue and it's great to know you are out there!

Marla

Marla
Re: Help! Compression Disaster!-It's Better Now...
January 10, 2007 02:53AM
I used a different machine and got workable files. Still some blurriness but I did all I could with the bit rate etc.

Thanks y'all,

Marla
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics