deleting the .aiff file

Posted by Barry 
deleting the .aiff file
January 18, 2007 04:35PM
Hi all, I recently took an excellent FCP5 class from Larry Jordan, which was truely awesome. I have been going through his tutorial on Compressor and DVDSP on Lynda.com, and need some clairification. After compressing the files and bringing them into DVDSP the tutorial says to delete the .aiff file, but it doesn't say why. So I was hoping that someone could explain why this file might be expendable. Thanx Barry
Re: deleting the .aiff file
January 18, 2007 05:49PM
I believe what you are talking about is after using Compressor to output a Dolby AC3 file from the .aiff file that came out of an encode to MPEF-2 to start with.

Compressor can output one .m2v and one .aiff from a Quicktime .mov file or one .m2v and one.ac3 file instead.

When adding a .aiff file to DVD STudio project , that audio takes up about another 1/3rd of the total content of the 4.37 DVD total. By outputting an AC3 file instead that drops to bearly 1/10th of the total content size.
January 19, 2007 01:06PM
Thanx John, You are right, after encoding with Compressor, I get 3 files: .m2v, .ac3 & .aiff. So I am guessing that you mean that I can (and should) dump the .aiff file and still have a working dvd. I appreciate your response. Barry
January 20, 2007 01:54AM
Just a follow up question. I don't know if this is true, but ...

I suspect the aiff file is better quality sound, and that if someone doesn't have stereo on their playback system, well, the aiff file comes in handy.

Because of my suspicious nature :-) I always bring both sound files into the assets bin and then drag the appropriate one into the DVD SP timeline. If I have room for the aiff, I use the aiff, but if I'm over the 4.5 GB limit then I use the ac3.

An extra note: I found out that the limit is 4.5 GB not 4.7. For some reason even 4.6 doesn't encode. I don't know why.

Please correct me if I don't know what I'm talking about. LOL
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics