Set in-out duration through keyboard....

Posted by Scott Erickson 
Set in-out duration through keyboard....
January 19, 2007 04:21PM
OK, this is one thing i miss from my Discreet Logic days, the abilitie to set an In point, hit a keyboard command, type in a duration, and then have a Out point created to match my input, allowing me to delete a specified section of time with out moving my mouse.

The work im doing now requires a lot of removing of short intervals and i'd rather do it from the keyboard rather than moving my mouse down the timeline 2 secs, then setting the out. My other method is to break the clips with ctrl-v at each end and then ripple delete. I guess im hoping i just overlooked some method for setting In-Out duration like i do with transitions.
Re: Set in-out duration through keyboard....
January 19, 2007 04:29PM
> the abilitie to set an In point, hit a keyboard command, type in a duration, and then have a
> Out point created to match my input

You can do this without using the mouse. Set the In point. Then type in "+" and the duration you want on the number pad, which will fly the playhead forward by that amount. Press O for an Out point. No mouse.

> rather than moving my mouse down the timeline 2 secs, then setting the out

Well, that's even easier. I for In point. SHIFT Right Arrow twice (SHIFT-Right Arrow advances the playhead one second), O for Out point.

www.derekmok.com
January 19, 2007 04:33PM
to move the playhead, type in + then amount want to move the playhead
remember that in FCP an out point marks the last frame you DO want (not the first frame you DON'T want),
so you probably need to subtract 1 from your duration

so:
i for in point
type + 215, say to move 2 seconds 15 frames
return
o for out point.
this will mark up a 2.16 section

careful you dont have any clip selected.
otherwise that will be moved by the duration you type in.

nick
January 19, 2007 04:37PM
Assuming you have the Canvas window (not timeline) active, this is another way:

- Set the in point as normal
- Press Tab
- Type in the duration you want and press return or enter (no need to deduct a frame)

Martin Baker
[www.digital-heaven.co.uk]
Unique plug-ins and tools for Apple Pro Apps
January 19, 2007 04:40PM
ohh, i always ignored the plus feature because i thought it would only move clips, not just the playhead. See i was overlooking something...

Shift arrow is a good way to go derek, thanks, i did know that but didnt think about...

thanks guys...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics