HD DV in ?

Posted by Logan6 
HD DV in ?
January 21, 2007 08:35PM
Does anyone know of flat screens with a DV in? (preferrably around 20"winking smiley? I currently have my FCP workstation hooked up to an older GL1 through 1394 and then from there using a S video cable out to an NTSC monitor. It would be nice if the monitor just had DV in (1394 firewire in). Does anyone have any suggestions? make? model?

thank you.
Re: HD DV in ?
January 21, 2007 09:20PM
never heard of that - but ive seen stereos that do, for whatever reason???
January 21, 2007 09:42PM
Logan6 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does anyone know of flat screens with a DV in?
> (preferrably around 20"winking smiley? I currently have my FCP
> workstation hooked up to an older GL1 through 1394
> and then from there using a S video cable out to
> an NTSC monitor. It would be nice if the monitor
> just had DV in (1394 firewire in). Does anyone
> have any suggestions? make? model?
>
> thank you.

I have a Sharp Aquous 32" LCD HighDef Screen attached to my Mac via the HDMI connection. Have also used the DVI input. I get georgeous screen resolution with either one, although I think the HDMI connection gives higher resolution. In my office, most everyone is getting flat screens for their computers and I've found that my videos in QuickTime play clear and bright on PCs (not any Macs in office). I don't make DVDs or output for "television", but on my large screen, even some family DVDs I've created play beautifully. I use this screen while I'm editing in FCP.

Regards, Cyrus
iMac 27" Intel i7 Quad-Core; 16GB RAM; 2TB HD
Final Cut Studio, FCP X, Photoshop CS5, After Effects, etc.
January 21, 2007 10:26PM
Don't throw out the glass monitors just yet. Yes, it's grand to cut on large flat panels, but remember those panels don't refresh fast enough to show you flicker or interlace problems.

[www.kozco.com]

This harmless looking video, for example, looks very different on a flat panel than it does on a glass monitor. The Field ID numbers in the upper right are intended to flicker very badly. If you just see a smooth "1" and "2" overlayed, then you will never see video flicker problems.

If you only see "1" or only "2", then you're only watching half of your video. The FCP Canvas View does this.

Koz
January 21, 2007 10:27PM
thanks for the input. However, this doesn't help as I am using both of my DVI outs on my G5 for LCD computer monitors. Right, I like to look at TV color space not computer. I'm just rying to eliminate the GL1 passthrough camera.

I need a Firewire 1394 input (DV in) on the new flat panel HD TV. How is everyone else hooking up their NTSC monitor on a basic FCP editing workstation?
January 21, 2007 10:33PM
#8 External Monitor Viewing.

Shane's Stock Answer #8:

A simple path is mac > firewire > camera or deck > rca cables > tv

Then start up your camera and tv, then open fcp.

Then go View > External video > all frames
Video playback should be Apple firewire NTSC (If you are using an NTSC set)
Audio playback should be Audio follows Video

Techinially, this should send synched video to your TV

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
January 21, 2007 10:50PM
<<<A simple path is mac > firewire > camera or deck > rca cables > tv >>>

Which generally gives you pictures about 7% too dark. If you care about calibration, you need to put the colorbar signal up and adjust as necessary. If all you're doing is watching for flicker and general motion problems, this works right out of the box.

Koz
January 24, 2007 08:44PM
Logan --

For what it's worth, I use the Kona LH and view on a Circuit City-bought Philips 20" TV with RCA-component inputs. With the Kona I can monitor 23.98 HD sequences as well as NTSC. I love it -- I can see what my picture "really" looks like. I just don't trust LCD for proper representation.

I have in the past also used the S-Video input using an Aurora Fuse-X card for plain old NTSC and I absolutely loved that too.

Good luck!
kth
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics