where can i find a 2pop?

Posted by dannylee78 
where can i find a 2pop?
January 25, 2007 05:12PM
just a standard effect, can't find it in the fcp audio effects.

also, how can i push the timecode back so i can start the 2pop 2 seconds before hour 1.

any suggestions/help would be appreciated.

thank you.
danny
Re: where can i find a 2pop?
January 25, 2007 05:18PM
Use the TONE sound for 1 frame. BARS & TONE in the Viewer dropdown menu.

As for getting the timeline to start at a new time, click on the TIMELINE and type APPLE-0, then click on the TIMELINE OPTIONS tab and change the start time.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
January 25, 2007 06:01PM
You're clear, right, that the "2-Pop" is the increase in the tone level behind the SMPTE clock leader? Technically, it's not a stand alone thing, but connected to 8 seconds of leader.

Also, once you have that, then your show has to start exactly two seconds later. That pop is a part of a much larger system.

I think the official one runs at 24, but I took a thorn out of an animator's paw once and he made me one at 30.

Koz
January 25, 2007 06:43PM
Kozikowski
I think the official one runs at 24, but I took a thorn out of an animator's paw once and he made me one at 30.

That's a good line. Can I use that?

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
January 25, 2007 07:02PM
<<<Can I use that?>>>

Feel free. If it ends up in a movie, I get credit.

I need to polish my IMDb.

Koz
January 26, 2007 10:32AM
Koz,

I did not know any of that stuff you just said. Where can I find more on this?

Regards, Steve
January 26, 2007 01:03PM
<<<I did not know any of that stuff you just said. Where can I find more on this? >>>

I would have thought there would be a lot more of this on line, but there isn't. I don't have the SMPTE document, either. I looked. In any event, the document won't tell us usage. Complicated, of course, by the fact that it's copyrighted and still sold ($25).

In general, it's a film or video graphic clock with a sweep hand that goes around once a second. It starts at 8 or 10 (I forget) and counts down to the first frame of your show.

The "2" thing means that the countdown has all the graphic numbers through three. There is only one frame of two (usually associated with an audio pop) and two seconds of black.

Exactly two seconds later should be the first frame of your show.

Koz
January 26, 2007 01:52PM
I actually own and control the copyright and performance rights to the audio 2-pop within the context of a film or video countdown. Somewhere in my files I have the owner of the countdown itself. It would be a more lucrative business for both of us if more people knew about the royalties. As it is now we only pay each other and it's a wash.
January 26, 2007 03:13PM
<<<As it is now we only pay each other and it's a wash.>>>

Who gets paid if the Society sells a copy of SMPTE-301--and is that the same one?

Koz
January 26, 2007 04:17PM
They get paid for their trouble and expenses, but if you actually read it you owe me royalties. But you should pick up some fiction too once in a while.
January 26, 2007 05:25PM
<<<but if you actually read it you owe me royalties.>>>

Correct me, but I owe you royalties if I perform the work. Not if I stick the SMPTE document in the file cabinet. Is the 30 frame one covered?

It appeals to my ill-used creative right brain to create a countdown that *looks* like I made it from cut up pieces of paper like the original. If you stop it, you can see where the art work didn't quite line up. My bestest countdown was somebody sent me a telecine'd one with film dirt all over it.

Why does "4" have extra stuff on the frames? I never quite got that one.

I favor Dean Koontz.

Koz
January 26, 2007 07:16PM
<<but if you actually read it you owe me royalties.>>

Oh. Last time I read it I got the impression that it was a compulsary donation agreement, so I send $1 to a charity everytime I use a countdown. Did I miss a clause, or is that right? I've got all the receipts...

January 28, 2007 02:06PM
Aren't there several 8-sec Academy Leader .mov files (which include the "countdown," 2-pop and 2-sec of black) that come with FCP, in various fps? If not, why do I have them and where did I get them?

Re royalties, is this an extended and clever joke that I'm not getting? Why would you have to bother with royalties using any Academy leader when the leader and 2-pop (when used properly) is not intended for broadcast etc?
January 28, 2007 03:51PM
there are indeed a bunch of Countdowns of different flavours that you get with FCP,
PLUS
an FCP project where you can make even more in whatever flavour you choose.

i'm pretty sure they're in an "Extras" folder.
it's been ages since i've installed FCP, so i've forgotten exactly where they come from sad smiley

and yes, it's a Joke, Joyce
(i know you're Karl, but that's an Aussie joke in itself. origin will have to be explained by someone else - i've forgotten that too)

nick
January 28, 2007 08:06PM
<<<Aren't there several 8-sec Academy Leader>>>

Academy Leader would not be handy. It's not based on seconds and has no clock, only black frames and occasional flashes of number. It's strictly for backtiming two movie projectors to each other.

SMPTE is the one that looks like a clock and there is an EBU European version as well that looks different, but gets the same idea across.

<<<i'm pretty sure they're in an "Extras" folder. >>>

Ah! I went looking and I couldn't find any. I'll try again.

Koz
January 28, 2007 08:16PM
[www.nfsa.afc.gov.au]

This shows an animated GIF of an Academy Leader.

Here's the document for the EBU Universal Leader.

[www.ebu.ch]

Koz
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics