multicam/clip viewing function in 5.1.2? Also key command for...

Posted by Marla Mitchnick 
multicam/clip viewing function in 5.1.2? Also key command for...
January 30, 2007 07:09PM
Hi again,

Sorry for the basic question, couldn't search the answers quickly in the manual: doing my first multicam project in v5.1.2, and I know there's a way to view all the layers in the canvas at once instead of one at a time. went to the view pull down and selected "multiclip 4-up," but nothing changed - is that what that should mean?

Also, is there a quick-key command for toggling between video tracks or do you have to select the button on the left of the track to toggle on/off?

Thanks,

Marla
Re: multicam/clip viewing function in 5.1.2? Also key command for...
January 30, 2007 07:38PM
You mean view all the angles in the multiclip not all the layers in the sequence right? If you are talking layers you're not doing multicam.

In the canvas there's a button near the view size button at the top that has the following options:
none, open, gang (or something like that) choose open. That will show you all your angles in the viewer while the resulting angle plays in the canvas.
If you want to see all the angles in the canvas and in the monitor theres a menu selection called (view multiclip angles) somewhere that will do this.
Pardon the vagueness, long day, not near a FCP station to verify what my hand/trackball muscles know by repetition.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
January 31, 2007 11:47AM
Thanks so much, I am going to try that. You are right "If you are talking layers you're not doing multicam," at the moment it ain't true multicam, next month we go HD, with proper synching of TC between 8 cameras...

For now though, I am dealing with 5 layers simultaneously recorded at a live event on DV, with close but not matching TC...

Thanks, I am going to try your suggestion right now,

Marla
Re: multicam/clip viewing STILL not working...
January 31, 2007 11:59AM
>You mean view all the angles in the multiclip not all the layers in the sequence right? If you are talking layers you're not doing multicam.

Yes.

>In the canvas there's a button near the view size button at the top that has the following options: none, open, gang (or something like that) choose open.

Done (it's sync off, open, and gang)

>That will show you all your angles in the viewer while the resulting angle plays in the canvas.

It isn't doing so, it is showing the identical clip inthe viewer as the canvas...

>If you want to see all the angles in the canvas and in the monitor theres a menu selection called (view multiclip angles) somewhere that will do this.

I haven't got an NTSC monitot yet, do have a 30" screen. I tried, under the view pull down, the various view multiclip related choices, (4-up, 9-up, etc), and nothing changed - it's still just mirroring the cnvas in the viewer...

And thanks for your reply, you weren't vague at all and I appreciate it, any further clarification would be appreciated,

Marla
January 31, 2007 12:06PM
"For now though, I am dealing with 5 layers simultaneously recorded at a live event on DV, with close but not matching TC...
Thanks, I am going to try your suggestion right now,"

and it wont work... smiling smiley

the OPEN function is for true multiclips

you will have to copy your timeline, put motion fx on the clips to create a 5 way split,
(pity it;s 5 clips , a 4-way split is easier to look at)
then export your timeline.
that'll give you a "hard copy" of all of your multiple angles.

you can put that on the top track of your timeline as a guide.
January 31, 2007 12:16PM
> you will have to copy your timeline, put motion fx on the clips to create a 5 way split,
> (pity it;s 5 clips , a 4-way split is easier to look at)
> then export your timeline.
> that'll give you a "hard copy" of all of your multiple angles.

If you really do need to see all angles play at the same time, I'd suggest:

a) Set them up into a split-screen using Motion settings, then make the five settings into Motion Paths so you can apply them easily. Then edit with the split-screen active and use Remove Attributes as you pick your angles and get them out of the way.

b) If you use Digital Heaven's DH_Box to perform the five-way split, you can turn on and off the split-screen parameters very easily by clicking the filter on or off. I think you can probably also try doing the split-screens using the Basic 3D filter. Either way, doing the rescaling and repositioning with filters will allow you to toggle between split and non-split easily.

www.derekmok.com
January 31, 2007 12:20PM
Thank you both for your well-researched methods, sounds like a bit more prep/set up than I have time for on this one day deadline but I'll give your suggestions a shot next week, I'll be in DV with fake multi cam all month, then going to true multicam next month...

Marla
January 31, 2007 12:22PM
I've never felt the need to see all angles in real time, myself. Guess I'm more from the film culture rather than real-time live TV directing/editing. I just use layering (one camera per track, standard) and Clip Enable/Disable to toggle between angles.

www.derekmok.com
January 31, 2007 12:25PM
hi Maria

why fake it? why not find and mark an In point on a reference frame that matches on each of the 5 sources. then select them all and choose Modify > Make Multiclip and sync on In point.

test it now and you'll be better prepped for your HD gig next month

cheers
Andy
January 31, 2007 12:26PM
That's what I'm used to too, but I thought it would be a timesaver to have a reference of each camera and not have to toggle constantly...

we'll see next month,

Thanks,

Marla
January 31, 2007 12:32PM
i suspect motion FX would give you better Real Time performance than the filter.

and they can be corralled just as easily (maybe more easily) using motion favourites and keyboard shortcuts.

this article talks about "Mapping Effects To Key Commands"
[www.kenstone.net]

it talks about filters, but the same holds true for motion effects.

nick
January 31, 2007 09:40PM
My colleague figured out a solution, involving "make multiclip," but then the video layers were all collapsed into one layer and you had to do all your thinking in the viewer monitor.

I am such a timeline-head that I couldn't deal with that.

It's fine, I'll wait for the real thing.

Thanks everyone,

Marla
January 31, 2007 09:57PM
Marla, that IS the real thing!

i'd suggest you persevere and get used to it.

nick
January 31, 2007 11:23PM
And there is a function for seeing the angles in the canvas if that is better for you. It's called view multiclip (option-F5 maybe?)

A good idea when dealing with multiclips for the first time is to make a keyboard layout where Switch angles1-10 and cut-to-angle1-10 are mapped to keys that you can remember and access easily. Figure out the difference between the Switch and cut-to angle. Put SyncPlay-open on a key because you'll be needing it alot to make the angles viewable in the viewer while your cut plays out in the canvas.
Thats a good start for playing around with multiclips.

There are some bugs in the system though. If you are shooting double system sound, the manuals' suggestion of using merge clip to attach the sound files to one of the video angles gave us nothing but randomly out of sync audio TC on individual tracks of polyphonic BWFs. There are others but generally it's solid in 5.1.2

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
February 01, 2007 03:04PM
I'm working on a 3 camera HD 1080i 29.97 line concert now.
When I set it up all I could say was "Incredible"
1st I selected 3 clips with close time code, then "Make Multi Clip"
per Timecode (could be in points)
Then Created a new sequence Loaded the muticlip in the viewer, and struck an full edit with the Jib selected in the multiclip.
Then... with both "ins" in position, selected "Open" in the viewer.
Then set Audio to all and selected in the viewer the best audio feed (jib)
Then set Video as the source.
Then turned on Multiclip Buttons and Keyboard Layout.
Voila Real Time multi clips chasing the sequence.
Set RT to Dynamic.
Bam!!!!!!!! so cool!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics