Modify Mouse, not just keyboard layout...

Posted by Scott Erickson 
Modify Mouse, not just keyboard layout...
January 31, 2007 01:28PM
Ok, i'm getting into modifying keyboard commands late, I figured Apple's commands were good enough for Apple, they're good enough for me. I was wrong, I love my new arrangements.

However...

I'd like to modify how the mouse works, like assign different tools by holding a modifier key without actually changing tools. Such as how holding OPT in Arrow mode over Rubberbands switches to Pen mode. I'd like to hold OPT or CTL or whatever and have it switch to Roll or Slide. I can't find this anywhere in the Keyboard Layout so it looks like this might be a Future Request for Apple, am i missing anything??
Re: Modify Mouse, not just keyboard layout...
January 31, 2007 01:46PM
> I'd like to hold OPT or CTL or whatever and have it switch to Roll or Slide.

You can switch to Roll by pressing R and Slide by pressing SS. But I assume you know this -- so I guess you want a temporary switch by holding a key down?

I'm pretty used to using R, S, etc. and then pressing A to go back. I don't think there's a temporary tool switch available, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong. Tools like Slip and Slide would be somewhat hard to do a "temporary switch" on -- you'd be OPTION-clicking something, for example.

www.derekmok.com
January 31, 2007 01:56PM
Yeah and using R, S, & A have been cutting it for a long time but now im doing a lot of work where i have to switch very very often, to the point where I'd want a Modifer key like I do for the Pen tool.

Thank god for that tho, I couldn't stand having to go from A all the way the P every few seconds, A to R is hard enough right now and they are close to each other...

My solution for now has been to map the Roll tool to X, which is significantly closer, and i never really used Mark Clip anyway, I prefer Shift-A for things like that...
January 31, 2007 02:37PM
Scott, if you have a "programmable" external device you may be able to set up what you want. I have cheap Logitech keyboards that have about 12 extra keys that acan be programmed.

But the best (that I have, anyway) is ShuttlePro, which allows you among other things to program a button to do this on the first click, that on the second click, and another thing on the third. Cumbersome if you're going through all the tools, but great for switching between 2 or 3.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics