maximum Project-file size in 5.1.2?

Posted by Marla Mitchnick 
maximum Project-file size in 5.1.2?
February 06, 2007 09:20AM
Hi Gang-

Is there a recommended size for optimum functioning? I am running on an intel machine, and I think my idea about a 20MB project file is, at this point, obsolete...

Guidance is welcome, as I am about to reorganize a massive project that my colleague made that's 200MB...

Thanks,

Marla
Re: maximum Project-file size in 5.1.2?
February 06, 2007 09:25AM
Hi Marla

You know, I don't think theres any such thing as an optimum file size, although it seems reasonable to expect that smaller is better!

Don't forget that one of the great things about FCP is that it can handle multiple projects open simultaneously. That means you can break your project down into more handleable component parts.

Just some food for thought
Andy
February 06, 2007 09:45AM
I would definitely keep it under 100mb. Around 50mb is possible. That's fro my experiences from working on lots of docs and reality shows.

Deleting sequences is one effective way to shrink the project file size. You don't have to delete them per say, just move them to an archived project file so you can retrieve them at a later point if you so need.

-CHL

Chi-Ho Lee
Film & Television Editor
Apple Certified Final Cut Pro Instructor
February 06, 2007 10:32AM
Thanks - I do plan to break them down into multiple part/tab projects, just wanted a general reference for optimum size for a single project for general perfrmance. Chi-Ho, were you working in 5.1.2 on said docs/reality shows?

Marla
February 06, 2007 02:39PM
I believe it was. Could've been 5.1. Don't recall exactly. It was a blur.

CHL

Chi-Ho Lee
Film & Television Editor
February 06, 2007 02:55PM
Close enough!

And were you on an intel? Machine speed would make a difference to optimal project size, non?

This is very useful as I'll be able to reorganize a huge archive of project(s) and, hopefully, prevent trouble down the line...

Thanks,

Marla
February 06, 2007 03:13PM
I was not on an intel, but a dual G5 2.0. But I know someone who was on a MacBook Pro (which is supposed to be faster or just as fast as the dual 2.0) and her project file was around 200mb and she had some problems with random crashing and etc. When she removed enough sequences to get it down around 40mb, it was behaving better.

But she still had some crashing while rendering issues. It turned out a stick of RAM may have been the culprit.

I don't believe machine speed would have a major impact on project sizes. It's the application dealing with the project size.

CHL

Chi-Ho Lee
Film & Television Editor
February 06, 2007 04:43PM
Thanks for your thoughts. I remember a time, not so very long ago, when it was 20MB, on a G4 power book... But that may have been version 3, or 4.5 (definitely NOT 5.1)...

Marla
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics