Way OT: organizing files

Posted by MikeDerk 
Way OT: organizing files
February 23, 2007 05:16PM
This is not a FCP question, but one I think editors will have a solid answer for.

I have several files and am looking for the best way to organize them.

Example:
I have two short films, the images that go along with them, and various formats (raw footage, cuts for DVD output, iPod files, etc.). I have various builds for DVDs that are one film or both films. I have DVD labels that go with each kind of DVD.

So, how do you all organize these files?

Do I put the iPod files (the mp4 outputs) in their own file (ie, all my mp4 in the same folder) or do I separate them and keep them spread out, and in sub-folders that go along with the short film files? Keeping them together makes it easier to find them if I want all of them, but more laborious if I'm making a build (in DVDSP) that has just one short and its iPod file. The problem will only get worse when I add more films to my repertoire, so I'm trying to tackle it now.

I would love to have all of my DVD cover graphics in the same place, but I also want my DVD cover graphics in folders that are dedicated to each individual short. Of course, I don't want to have two copies of anything.

I hope that's clear. I'm assuming it's an issue we all share and that you have some brilliant solution.

Thanks,

Mike
Re: Way OT: organizing files
February 23, 2007 05:42PM
I would tend towards keeping all the media for each project together. Then, you could use folder or file names to help you find things easily.

So - say short film one is called 'Mission X'. You put all of Mission X's files - media, dvd builds, mp4s, covers, artwork, music - everything, in a folder called 'Mission X Project'. And you make sure that when you name files you have a strict naming protocol - so, for instance, I always name any self contained movies something like 'Mission X SCM'. And your DVD covers could be 'Mission X cover' and 'Mission Y cover', or 'Bambi Meets Rocky Balboa cover'.

Doing this means that if you want to sort by type, you can use the find commands to generate groups without them needing to be physically stored together - so - if I want to find all my DVD covers, I just do a search for 'cover' and I instantly get a list of all the DVD covers I have.

February 23, 2007 05:48PM
I have a DVD on this very subject coming out soon, thru the Creative Cow. Hopefully it will be out soon.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
February 23, 2007 06:18PM
this is nowhere near off-topic. its probably one of the bigger sources for day to day workflow foul-ups.

do a search of the forum for "file management", "folder structure", "file organization" etc, etc, etc.
we have all doen a LOT of talking about it.

but jude has pretty much summed it up VERY well. the only thing id add is not to use spaces in your filenames. for example - instead of 'Mission Y cover' id use 'Mission_Y_cover'

the main reason for this is that if you have to ever transfer source files to someone over the web, an internet server will add a " "in the spaces, thus your file suddeny becomes 'Mission Y cover'
February 23, 2007 06:19PM
Thanks, I just needed the voice of experience to guide me.

This is getting even further OT, so feel free to ignore it: is the Mac feature of "smart folders" designed to do this for us? As in, create a smart folder with the key word "cover" and voila, all the covers are there? (I've never looked into it, but I might soon.)

As I said, way OT, so you can ignore the question.

Mike
February 23, 2007 06:21PM
Given how much I need help with this, I hope it is soon too.

And I need help with it across the board -- my script documents are all a mess. My closet is a mess. My kitchen...
February 23, 2007 06:22PM
I'll do that search, and I'll start using underscores. Two more good pieces of advice.

It's amazing how files proliferate, and suddenly, ouch.
February 23, 2007 06:34PM
hey mike,
just a note to say it;s better to reply to everyone in one post.
each poster will get all the replies anyway.

nick
February 27, 2007 06:47PM
I'm with Jude. All files for video projects in one folder, and smart naming system essential.

In regards to other documents, I've been using a monthly system for a while and it works wonders.

IE - I create a folder called February 2007 in User/Documents. I use this for quotes, invoices, lists etc etc - anything not directly project related. Then at the end of the month I back up to CD/DVD - hasn't failed me in two years.

I also burn using Toast and catalogue the disc contents so I can find them. Having said that, none of these are particuarly large folders (always seem to fit on a CD) so I still have them all on one of my internal drives.

Also, when the month is active I put a * in front of it so it appears at the top when organising by name - makes it easier to find.

My 2c.

PS. I'd love someone to come clean and tidy my office!
February 27, 2007 08:05PM
> but jude has pretty much summed it up VERY well. the only thing id add is not to use spaces in
> your filenames. for example - instead of 'Mission Y cover' id use 'Mission_Y_cover'

I slightly disagree with this one. Wayne is right that some file systems can't handle spaces. But Macs can, and having to type those underscores really slows you down, especially if you're logging clips and you have to keep pressing SHIFT - all the time.

I'd personally generate a file system that does use spaces. Or use dashes instead of underscores -- much easier to type without that SHIFT. Then, if you ever need to upload a file or transfer it, duplicate the file(s) and add the underscore then. Hasn't failed me yet.

www.derekmok.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics