1st time Yak sighting

Posted by jmorrison 
1st time Yak sighting
March 06, 2007 01:47PM
Well for 5 years I've heard others talk about the late night Yak sighting and I was wondering if my FCP didn't have a Yak. Well this morning the mysterious Yak made its way across the screen. AH what a site. Sure made my day. smiling smiley
Re: 1st time Yak sighting
March 06, 2007 01:49PM
7 years of good luck go along with that. Plus a brand new refrigerator.

Michael Horton
-------------------
March 06, 2007 03:31PM
Apparently you can call Bruce the Wonder Yak out by **censored**. Sometimes when you're out of ideas, Bruce can ease the tension.

edit: For goodluck.
March 06, 2007 04:00PM
7 years BAD luck if you publicly tell folks how to call the yak. Lucky for you that aint the way.

smiling smiley

Michael Horton
-------------------
March 06, 2007 09:56PM
OK I know Im not suppopsed to do this but Ive had enough of all these yak snobs who dont want anyone else to know how to call the yak(s)...
But here goes. its really quite easy, all you do is hold down the shift key for 10 secs, then stand up on your chair and yell hear "yakky yakky yakky yak yakitty yak" 3 times.
Your computer must have voice commands turned on by the way.
So there it is, the yak is out of the bag.
It sure eases the tension sometimes. Its common around our office late at night to hear the familiar call coming from one of the edit suites..."yakky yakky yakky yak yakitty yak" they'll say.
and then again, and then one more time....it just makes me feel more relaxed.
March 06, 2007 10:25PM
Wonder how many people will actually do this?

eye popping smiley

Michael Horton
-------------------
March 06, 2007 10:27PM
Oh...I just did. You mean this doesn't work? I miss Bruce since the update made him go away. I was hoping this was the new way to bring him back.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
March 06, 2007 10:35PM
Yeah. Sucks. Maybe none of us knows how to do it. But I'm afraid they made him go away.

Michael Horton
-------------------
March 06, 2007 11:39PM
All I want is my Pony

------------------------
Dean

"When I see you floating down the gutter I'll give you a bottle of wine."
Captain Beefheart, Trout Mask Replica.
March 07, 2007 06:49AM
If you leave Devonshire Clotted Cream Fudge by the side of your monitor and you have been a very good editor this year...

... He WILL come!

Ben

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
March 16, 2007 11:32AM
I GOT IT!!! I see Bruce. Wow, he's just so... so... I can't even describe it. he is the true Bruce Almighty.
March 16, 2007 08:28PM
You found him in 5.1? You Go! You're the first person, as far as I know, to claim to have got him - apart from some ramblings about clicking on the scopes. It would make sense for him to be hiding in the scopes, though..

Give us a hint.

March 16, 2007 10:31PM
I can confirm that in 5.1.2 he's been spotted in the scopes.

Also, I concur that it helps if you speak "yakkity yakkity yak" while you look. He seems to come out faster.
March 17, 2007 08:54AM
Have you been able to call him Mike? Maybe Tess wasn't the first?

March 17, 2007 11:16AM
FCP with Voice Recognition? I can see it now. "I said Ripple edit you bleeding idiot, not Roll edit!

Michael Horton
-------------------
March 17, 2007 12:55PM
Jude, there's some good information in this thread, and some red herrings as well. I can tell you that I can get him to come out on command, but when I posted a step-by-step guide on how he works, Michael replied with something that made me think I was taking the fun out of it. So I edited out the reveal (read: "**censored**", above) and have since just made hints at how he works.

Want to know the step-by-step? Private message me, or e-mail me. But I warn you... his presence means more when you find him yourself. ;-)
March 17, 2007 01:14PM
It is an unwritten rule since V1 not to publicly reveal how to call the Yak so any post that spells it out here will be deleted - otherwise we all will be struck by lightning.

Really. It's true

Michael Horton
-------------------
March 17, 2007 02:41PM
No, the true reason is that in order to call Bruce the Yak out to your screen, you have to position a comely female yak right where the center of your timeline is. You can make her in Photoshop, Motion, After Effects -- anything to appeal to Bruce's libido.

But to publicly reveal this secret would be to invade Bruce and his date's, ah, privacy during their, uh, downtime. Shall we call it "rendering"?

www.derekmok.com
March 17, 2007 02:43PM
But to publicly reveal this secret would be to invade Bruce and his date's, ah, privacy during their, uh, downtime. Shall we call it "rendering"?

That of course is the other reason to not reveal how to call the Yak.

Michael Horton
-------------------
March 17, 2007 02:48PM
derekmok Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But to publicly reveal this secret would be to
> invade Bruce and his date's, ah, privacy during
> their, uh, downtime. Shall we call it
> "rendering"?

Yeah, and seeing Bruce in a towel could very well damage the delicate psyches of many an editor.

deb
March 17, 2007 04:24PM
> and seeing Bruce in a towel could very well damage the delicate psyches of many an editor.

Or a single, strategically placed sock?

www.derekmok.com
March 17, 2007 05:29PM
I would just like to say that until you all started this discussion and the other Yak thread, I had never HEARD of the Yak. Never seen it dicussed or ever mentioned. Having said that and realizing that this doesn't cast me in the best light, I have SEEN the Yak. Remember that I had no idea what the heck I was looking at.

It was an early morning after a long evening edit and the overnight assistant had left the system to recompress XDCAM HD files to DV after the shift. When I came in to work in the morning I turned on the monitors and saw the Yak. Now like I said I was tired, so it freaked me out, and not a little bit. It looked a little too much like those stupid web things that were popular circa 1999 where animated doodads would wander around your screen and do supposedly funny things.

My immediate thought was that someone had downloaded and installed some P.O.S. shareware and I admit to thinking unkind things about someone I worked with. I went on a search for rogue software and did a thorough reboot from system disks/verify/repair permissions/etc. Even thought about a clean re-install but decided to wait and see as the deadlines were tight and I would have to back up my decision with a story containing the words "animated horned cattle-like animal".

Seeing as the mojo to summon the Yak is desireable I'll spell it out for you:

Start a SIX hour recompress of 35mbit/24f XDCAM HD files to 24f DV.
Turn off monitors.
WAIT.(go home, sleep, ride a bike, listen to the entire Cocteau Twins catalogue)
As soon as the monitors switch on it shall appear.
That's it.
I've since tried all the combos that didn't involve the Six hour part and none of them seemed to work.

This thread makes that day in November seem a lot sillier than I would care to admit. But at least I am not crazy, at least not in that way.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
March 17, 2007 07:32PM
Oh geez - it never occured to me how much it looks like one of those little virii that junked up the screen in the nineties. While it's pretty funny that you spent all that time going off your nut about it, to tell you the truth if I came in and saw him and had no idea what he was I'd probably have exactly the same reaction - blame someone for installing something stupid without permission and go mad trying to find it to delete it.

He does visit sometimes without being specifically called. Under special conditions. Like when the Yakkette is on a girl's night out, perhaps..

I've actually started to think of the yak as the 'pony with horns'. The Horned Pony. Hmmm.

March 17, 2007 08:26PM
First time I saw... that thing I was very new to both FCP and the Mac. And I was working under an immense looming deadline, middle of the night.

I immediately thought virus, virus, virus. It made me very uncomfortable. Fortunately I didn't try to do anything about it.

It was a year before I found out what it was. Not really interested in seeing it again.
March 17, 2007 11:23PM
I saw Bruce once! Unfortunately before I could show him off to some friends, Corel locked up the machine and had to do a hard boot.
March 20, 2007 07:54AM
I would love to give you a hint because you all have helped me so much in the pass. I also don't want 7 years bad luck or what not. Am I aloud to make a riddle or something out of it or is that too much info?

-Tessa

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work"- Thomas Edison
March 20, 2007 10:36AM
Hints are OK. Just not real good hints

Michael Horton
-------------------
March 20, 2007 12:06PM
Okay here's the hint

If you and Bruce want to elope,
You must look at the scope
Take control of the issue
Because he really does miss you
Change how you look at things
To find the love that he brings
If you think you two really click
Keep trying, that is the trick

-Tessa

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work"- Thomas Edison
March 20, 2007 12:36PM
Hints that rhyme get extra points. Good job, Tessa.
March 20, 2007 04:24PM
Mike Watson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hints that rhyme get extra points. Good job,
> Tessa.

I'll go out on a limb and guess that these points can be redeemed for a free pony at some point . . .

tongue sticking out smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics